Residents in parts of Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia Georgia and Florida were encouraged to monitor weather bulletins throughout Sunday and to secure loose outdoor items.
In East Texas, authorities say two children were killed when high winds toppled a tree onto the back of the family auto while it was in motion. Capt. Alton Lenderman said the parents, who were in the front seats, were not injured.
Robertson County officials said 55 homes, one church, four businesses, a duplex and part of the local housing authority were destroyed by the tornado.
Franklin, Texas, roughly 125 miles south of Dallas, was nearly entirely flattened by a tornado, according to the Robertson County Sheriff's Office.
A preliminary damage survey showed an EF-3 tornado, with winds up to 140 miles per hour, touched down in Robertson County, the NWS in Fort Worth said. Some people had to be extricated from damaged dwellings. Damaging winds, Tornadoes, Hail and brief Heavy rain can be expected in some storms. In nearby Cherokee County, winds of up to 60 mph damaged two homes in the town of Alto, about 140 miles (225 kilometers) north of Houston. More than 100,000 people were left without power once the storm hit Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi.
"We're living, and God has blessed us", Scott, a retired manager for a grocery store meat department, said Sunday as neighbors helped him salvage his belongings.
Tornado warnings and watches were posted in the state Saturday night as the severe weather exited MS into Alabama.
No injuries have been reported near the campus.
The storm damaged a roof of a hotel in New Albany, Mississippi, and Mississippi State University's 21,000 students huddled in basements and hallways as a tornado neared the campus in Starkville. Isolated damage reports came in from throughout the state, including the hard-hit area of Troy in Pike County.
The large storm system also knocked out power to thousands and caused flash floods.
"Around 10:15 p.m. on Saturday, "deputies responded to a report of a submerged vehicle in floodwater" in Calhoun County", Springfield told PEOPLE in a statement.
- Heartbeat bill passes and legal battle set
- Three killed in aircraft runway accident near Everest
- OPEC projects to tighter oil market in 2019
- The Premier League trophy is at Anfield for Liverpool's game against Chelsea
- Respawn co-founder Jason West is the next Epic exclusive
- Facebook accidentally included secret messages inside its Oculus Touch controllers
- First Warning Forecast: Warmer, windy, and a threat for severe storms
- Man arrested after boy falls from balcony at USA shopping centre
- Kevin Durant and Patrick Beverley ejected from Game 1
- Lego breaks record with image made up of Star Wars figurines