Sydney Paige Monfries, a senior at Rose Hill, passed away on April 14 after falling from the clock and bell tower in Keating Hall.
A Fordham University student fell 140 feet from the top of the school's bell tower early Sunday, police said. "Our hearts go out to Sydney's parents, and her family and friends - theirs is an unimaginable loss, and we share their grief".
A Fordham University student was critically injured Sunday after falling from a clock tower, according to a statement from the NY university.
The university is investigating how the students gained access to the tower, which an official says is normally locked.
The incident remains under investigation.
He said Ms Monfries and her friends left the establishment an hour or two before it closed at 4am.
She is being treated at a nearby hospital, according to the report.
Monfries was a senior and had been studying journalism, according to the Times. When the police arrived at the scene, officers were forced to carry out a high-angle rescue after finding Sydney lying on the ground inside the tower with trauma to her head and body, it is reported.
"I know you join me in keeping Sydney, and her family and loved ones, in your thoughts and prayers", Father McShane also said, reported the New York Times.
In 2013, a school official told the Fordham Ram that the tower was "rather dangerous" and therefore "off limits" to students.
One student, identified only as Anne, told the U.S. publication she believed Ms Monfries had climbed the tower with several other students when the tragedy occurred. I'll never forget all of our memories back when you lived in NJ and I'll forever cherish them! "If it is, it's kind of stupid", junior Linda Yenicag added to the CBS affiliate.
The budding journalist, who was due to graduate next month, had completed a string of internships at a news network, InStyle magazine and a public relations company.
School president Joseph McShane confirmed the tragic news in a letter to students later that evening.
- Shots Fired After Ukrainian Ambassador's Car Rammed in Lawless London
- Unlucky 13th: Johnson accidentally hits ball off tee on practice swing
- Tiger Woods claims first US Masters since 2008 in major comeback
- Winx bows out in style with 33rd victory
- How to watch Game of Thrones season 8 on Netflix
- Donations pour in for boy thrown from Mall of America balcony
- Ocasio-Cortez Tells War Vet Congressman To Do Something About Domestic Terror
- Harden, Rockets cruise past Jazz in Game 1
- Huawei launches P30 series in Kenya
- Uber to debut on NY bourse