The children were pronounced dead at the scene.
The National Weather Service in Jackson, Mississippi, confirmed a tornado touched down Saturday night in Starkville.
There were reports of multiple injuries in the Robertson County town of Franklin, the NWS said, and KWTX reported widespread damage there.
At least one mobile home was destroyed, throwing a man from the mobile home.
The entire town of Franklin and neighboring Bremond lost electricity, with 3,088 customers cut-off across the county early Sunday. And the Dallas suburb of The Colony was pounded by baseball-sized hail. Therefore, there is a good chance that some storms will become severe.
Debris is strewn in flooded water in the Pemberton Quarters strip mall following severe weather Saturday, April 13, 2019 in Vicksburg, Miss.
And Sunday, an enhanced risk (level 3 out of 5) stretches from Atlanta to Cleveland.
At Georgia's Augusta National Golf Club, organizers of The Masters golf tournament moved up tee times Sunday to try to beat risky weather.
The storms most capable of producing tornadoes and large hail will be the individual, rotating cells that form ahead of a larger complex of thunderstorms.
As the storms tore through MS overnight into Sunday, they left a trail of destruction that authorities are still combing through.
Tornado warnings remained in effect on Sunday for southeastern Alabama's Barbour and Russell counties, Oravec said.
The biggest concern for tornado development is on Saturday afternoon and evening, as the potent piece of energy slides eastward into Louisiana, clashing with a very strong inflow of moist and unstable tropical air from the Gulf of Mexico.
Storms have now moved out of North Alabama and the tornado watch from the early morning hours has expired. The center said it expects the threat of severe weather to increase throughout the day.
The Storm Prediction Center issued an enhanced risk across a broad area, stretching from eastern Alabama through the southern Appalachians and into the Ohio Valley. There is a slight risk of severe weather, with the main threats being damaging winds, hail and a possible isolated tornado can't be ruled out.
The risk will slowly diminish as the system begins to weaken Sunday evening.
- Horizon: The Frozen Wilds Voice Actor Teases Horizon Zero Dawn 2
- Google and Huawei settle over to pay for Nexus
- SpaceX's most powerful rocket takes off for first commercial flight
- Kevin Durant and Patrick Beverley ejected from Game 1
- Trump’s sanctuary city idea could help migrants stay in the US
- Perez heads Newcastle closer to Premier League safety
- Download Samsung Galaxy A80 Stock Wallpapers in Full HD+
- International Criminal Court rejects call to investigate war crimes in Afghanistan
- Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order Gameplay Details: Lighstabers, Force Powers, And More
- Respawn co-founder Jason West is the next Epic exclusive