The initial reaction around the league is that the Atlanta Braves got a steal with the contract, as they have now locked up their two biggest young stars for under $150 million, not including the option years.
The contract could be worth up to $35 million, per reports, and begins with the current season. Dansby Swanson or Johan Camargo are two other young players with questions Atlanta could gamble on now.
But after Albies hit 20 home runs before the All-Star break previous year in his first full season in the majors, few would have believed the Braves second baseman would agree nine months later to a contract so relatively modest as the one he signed Thursday.
Albies, 22, was set to become arbitration eligible in 2021 and a free agent in 2024. Ablies' team options years are worth $7 million each with $4 million buyouts. Prior to signing the extension, he was under Braves control through the 2023 season. So far in 2019, Albies is off to an incredibly hot start.
Albies knew he signed a team-friendly contract. "And I took it because I want my family to be safe". If the extensions are picked up, the deal could last through the 2027 season.
Albies entered Thursday night's game against the New York Mets with a.364 average through 11 games.
I don't think anyone can argue that Ozzie Albies is Jose Altuve, yet he is guaranteed more money than Altuve was at the same stage of their respective careers while allowing him to play with a close friend in a city that he now calls home.
- House Democrats set hard deadline for Trump to cough up tax returns
- RJ Barrett Declares for NBA Draft
- Wells Fargo 1Q profit rises 14 percent, tops estimates
- Ariana Grande shares image of her brain scan to highlight PTSD
- Manchester United's Solskjaer to make 'ruthless' decisions in transfer market
- The Masters 2019: Tiger Woods firmly in contention after third-round 67
- Fawad Chaudhry demands British empire apologise for Jallianwala massacre, Bengal starvation
- Tesla, Panasonic to seek productivity gains before new battery investments
- Macron opposes European Union trade talks with USA as Trump's tariff crusade escalates
- Muscat one of five European leaders against long Brexit extension - Le Monde