Rajasthan seamer Jofra Archer - hoping to join Buttler and Stokes in England's provisional World Cup squad, which is announced on Wednesday - earlier picked up 3-39 from four overs, removing Quinton de Kock (81), Rohit Sharma (47), and Kieron Pollard (7), as Mumbai posted 187-5.
Rohit's inclusion will not only put to rest any doubts about his fitness but also boost the Mumbai's batting line-up, which also comprises Ishan Kishan, Hardik Pandya, Krunal Pandya and ever-reliable Surya Kumar Yadav. The Rajasthan Royals' chase of 188 now stands at second place in the biggest IPL chases vs MI.
Ajinkya Rahane-led Rajasthan Royals have won only once in this season and they would know that time's running out for them.
Rohit Sharma was replaced by the young Siddhesh Lad who made his IPL debut in the last match.
The Sportsrush presents before you the Head-to-Head statistics for 27th match of IPL 2019. The Mumbai Indians reserve a 4 PM home game every season for their "Education for All" initiative. His wickets were all of MI superstars - Rohit, who was beaten for pace, de Kock and Pollard, who was dismissed early as Archer prevented a late onslaught from the West Indian batsman like he did against Kings XI Punjab.
While the two were a little watchful at the start of their innings as the first two overs yielded only nine runs, the duo took on the RR bowlers from the third over, with the left-hander getting into the act, with a six and a four and the MI skipper hitting a four to score 18 runs off the over bowled by Krishnappa Gowtham. None of the batsmen could score a big innings with Ben Stokes emerging as the top-scorer with 28 runs.
Jasprit Bumrah has built a reputation for himself as a death overs specialist, and the Mumbai Indians spearhead didn't disappoint with another stellar performance with the ball, finishing with figures of 2-23 from his four overs. In their first game against Kings XI Punjab, the Royals had lost eight wickets for 62 runs to go down by 14 runs once Buttler had departed after being controversially run out for 69. Ajinkya Rahane made 37 while Sanju Samson scored 31.
Meanwhile, it was Rohit's 100th match as captain for Mumbai Indians (including the now defunt Champions League T20 games) and it was Mumbai's overall 200th match. Even Jos Buttler is finding it hard to maintain the consistency.
- SpaceX's most powerful rocket takes off for first commercial flight
- Walmart Responds to Bezos with Tweet Asking Amazon to Pay Taxes
- Facebook accidentally included secret messages inside its Oculus Touch controllers
- Google and Huawei settle over to pay for Nexus
- Three killed in aircraft runway accident near Everest
- OPEC projects to tighter oil market in 2019
- Heartbeat bill passes and legal battle set
- FCC announces $20 billion for rural broadband providers, schedules third 5G auction
- First Warning Forecast: Warmer, windy, and a threat for severe storms
- Maple Leafs snag home-ice advantage after taking Game 1 in Boston