The unintentionally revealing hidden warnings include the following: "The Masons Were Here.", and "Big Brother is Watching".
Facebook is set to launch two new VR products - the $399 standalone Oculus VR system and the $399 PC-tethered Oculus Rift S.
Mitchell's statement goes on to apologise for these Easter eggs slipping past the prototype phase and into production, calling them "inappropriate" and saying their internal processes have been changed to avoid this happening again.
According to the series of tweets posted on Twitter, Nate explained how these creepy easter eggs message labels meant for internal prototype use actually found its way towards tens of thousands of Oculus Touch controllers that were shipped although now haven't sold yet. Other messages included "This Space For Rent" and 'Hi iFixit!
It looks like Oculus is having a pretty bad week as the company "accidentally" added privacy-focused jokes on the inside of the Touch controllers. We See You!' as well as the message about 'Big Brother.' While I appreciate easter eggs, these were inappropriate and should have been removed.
However, it seems Oculus noticed the easter eggs had been incorporated into the consumer hardware before it could remove them.
According to a report from Business Insider, the affected Touch controllers are meant to ship with the upcoming Rift S and Oculus Quest headsets, and are not yet available. "That said, as mentioned in Nate's tweet, the messages will be inside tens of thousands of controller pairs that will ship to consumers when Quest and Rift S ship". They have also indicated that the hardware of the actual products has not been compromised.
Sure, maybe it's all in good fun, but it could only be amusing if the company making the joke actually took privacy seriously.
Peace added: "We think it's important to be transparent with our community and take responsibility when there's an error".
- The Premier League trophy is at Anfield for Liverpool's game against Chelsea
- Heartbeat bill passes and legal battle set
- SpaceX's most powerful rocket takes off for first commercial flight
- Three killed in aircraft runway accident near Everest
- Horizon: The Frozen Wilds Voice Actor Teases Horizon Zero Dawn 2
- Respawn co-founder Jason West is the next Epic exclusive
- BTS Boy With Luv: Release Date And Details
- Walmart Responds to Bezos with Tweet Asking Amazon to Pay Taxes
- FCC announces $20 billion for rural broadband providers, schedules third 5G auction
- Man arrested after boy falls from balcony at USA shopping centre