But Tuesday's court filings detail Cohen's financial exchanges with foreign entities-including Russia-linked USA -based company Columbus Nova; Swiss pharmaceutical company Novartis; a South Korean company; and a Kazakhstani bank. An affidavit supporting the requests said that they were made in connection with an investigation into campaign finance violations.
Lanny Davis, an attorney for Cohen, said the release of the search warrant "furthers his interest in continuing to cooperate and providing information and the truth about Donald Trump and the Trump organization to law enforcement and Congress".
Both Cohen and Trump cried foul over the raids, with Cohen's attorney at the time calling them "completely inappropriate and unnecessary" and the president taking to Twitter to declare that "Attorney-client privilege is dead!"
A court-ordered review ultimately found only a fraction of the seized material to be privileged.
July 18, 2017: Federal Bureau of Investigation agents sought and obtained a search warrant from U.S. District Judge Beryl Howell in Washington, D.C., for all emails sent or received from Cohen's Gmail account between January 1, 2016 and July 18, 2017.
We put together a timeline based on the newly unsealed documents to show exactly how the Cohen investigation came together. The FBI said there was probable cause to believe that Cohen engaged in conspiracy to defraud the US, make false statements to financial institutions and banks, and acted as an unregistered foreign agent in violation of the Foreign Agents Registration Act.
Cohen has pleaded guilty to tax fraud and campaign finance violations, as well as to lying to Congress. Agents scooped up evidence related to several issues including his relations with foreign entities, his personal business dealings involving taxi medallions, and his payments to Daniels in the weeks leading up to the 2016 presidential election to cover up an alleged affair with then-candidate Donald Trump.
- Facebook told to face up to extremism after New Zealand attack
- Cleveland Browns will get a focused Odell Beckham Jr
- Google at GDC 2019
- California Congressman Sues Twitter for $250M over 'Shadow Bans' on Conservatives
- Around 35 tourists believed trapped after landslides in Indonesia's Lombok
- Dead whale found with 40 kilograms of plastic bags in its stomach
- Apex Legends Battle Pass Release Date, Details Confirmed
- Supreme Court Rules Against Immigrants in Detention Case
- Fisker launches electric SUV starting at under US$40,000
- Rory McIlroy seals The Players Championship victory