I want everyone to know this was purely a football business decision. Because if Beane and the Bills were interested in Brown from a football standpoint despite the things that made him no longer welcome in Pittsburgh, Beane should have been more than interested in Beckham from a football standpoint despite the things that made him no longer welcome in NY.
Gettleman acknowledged that he placed a call to the Buffalo Bills after their attempted trade for Antonio Brown fell through, but got rebuffed. Giants GM Dave Gettleman, who's taking enormous heat for trading Odell Beckham Jr.to the Browns, stressed he only did so because his good friend John Dorsey made him an offer he couldn't refuse. "Obviously there's a lot of stuff that factors in, but at the end of the day, in order for us to move Odell, the other team was going to have to knock it out of the park", Gettleman said. "After much discussion, we just believe this is in the best interest of the NY football Giants".
But, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Giants not only could have gotten more in exchange for Beckham had they shopped him more aggressively, but were actually offered significantly more for the superstar previously. He also admitted to numerous conversations with the San Francisco 49ers previous year, though nothing materialized.
"This narrative that Eli is overpaid and can't play is a crock, I'm telling you", Gettleman said, adding he doesn't mind if people disagree with him.
"We have positions to address".
"Because of Odell's talent and personality, this was a decision we did not enter into lightly", said Gettleman, who has run the Giants since Jerry Reese was sacked in December 2017.
"Trust me, we have a plan", he said. "With football being the ultimate team game, we turned that fact into three valuable assets, at the very least".
And with them, Gettleman will continue to build the Giants' roster.
- Facebook told to face up to extremism after New Zealand attack
- What's the best way to order the iPad mini (2019)
- PM calls for Facebook, Google, Twitter to suspend live streaming
- Mukesh Ambani rescues Anil, pays Ericsson Rs 462 crore dues
- Rory McIlroy seals The Players Championship victory
- Lori Loughlin Fired from 'Fuller House' Following College Admission Scandal
- 5-Time Pro Bowler Announces His NFL Retirement
- Apex Legends Battle Pass Release Date, Details Confirmed
- Meghan McCain blasts Trump after he attacks her father on Twitter
- Massive Meteor Explodes Over Earth