"Franky Boy", the reputed boss of New York's Gambino crime family was shot to death Wednesday night in front of his home in Staten Island, New York, by a gunman who may have staged a auto accident to lure him outside, dying a virtual unknown compared with his swaggering 1980s-era predecessor, John Gotti.
According to the NYPD, 24-year-old Anthony Comello of Staten Island was taken into custody and is being held at the Ocean County Jail pending extradition back to NY. "We are at the beginning stages of this investigation", Shea said.
Castellano's death led to the rise of John "Dapper Don" Gotti, who then took over as Gambino family boss, running criminal enterprises ranging from gambling to money laundering to prostitution.
Surveillance video of the killing showed a man, allegedly Mr Comello, crash his vehicle into Mr Cali's parked SUV, drawing Mr Cali outside in what might have been a ploy to lure him out of the house, Mr Shea said.
Police are still investigating the murder of reputed Gambino mob boss Francesco (Franky Boy) Cali, 53, who was gunned down on Wednesday outside his Hilltop Terrace home, said law enforcement sources.
Man arrested in N.J. for killing of reputed Gambino family mob boss, report says
Shea says Cali emerged from his home around 9:15 p.m. after the suspect backed his pickup truck into Cali's Cadillac SUV.
Comello has numerous addresses, including on Staten Island, the official said.
Shea said police have recovered the truck but have not recovered the gun used in the murder. No other details about the arrest were immediately available Saturday afternoon.
After Gotti died in prison in 2002 the mob's influence on the United States eastern seaboard waned, but Cali's murder put it back in the headlines.
Cali was released after 16 months in federal prison in April 2009 for an extortion scheme.
The murder marked the first assassination of a New York City mob boss since Paul Castellano was killed outside a Manhattan steakhouse in 1985.
- Love Island star Michael Thalassitis found in woods dead aged 26
- Union County residents along Missouri River asked to prepare for flooding
- Russian Federation says it will respond to new European Union sanctions
- Christchurch mosque attacks: Bangladesh Test cricket team escape mass shooting
- No Man's Sky 'Beyond' update announced
- The Irish prime minister brought his boyfriend to meet Vice President Pence
- Search Jobs with Jooble
- Next-Gen VW Golf Won’t Debut Until the End of the Year
- Sreesanth thanks SC for setting aside BCCI’s life ban
- Republican Party of Texas Chief Responds to Beto's Presidential Run