Johnny Manziel's football career hit quite the road block when he was barred from the Canadian Football League at the end of February, leading to his release by the Montreal Alouettes.
Manziel was suspended by the NFL in 2016 for violating the league's substance abuse policy, but never pursued playing in the league again.
The quarterback's rights belonged to San Antonio of the spring league, but that team declined to sign him and Manziel then was free to join any of the other seven clubs.
He played just two seasons with the team before he was released.
The Commanders had the rights to Manziel because he played college football at Texas A&M.
He spent less than a calendar year playing in Canada, first for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, then for the Montreal Alouettes, but on February 27, the league said the former NFL first-round draft choice and 2012 Heisman Trophy victor "contravened the agreement which made him eligible to play" and forced Montreal to cut him from its roster.
The AAF, now in its first season, says Manziel will report Sunday to Memphis after the Express lost to Salt Lake, 22-9, on Saturday to fall to 1-5 on the year. Christian Hackenberg started the Express' first three games but was relieved by Zach Mettenberger, who was injured Saturday and replaced by Brandon Silvers.Читайте также: No excuse, no panic - Kohli sees big picture in Australia loss
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Polian also said he believes Manziel will benefit from "the coaching and mentorship" of Memphis coach Mike Singletary.
Manziel spent the 2018 season in the CFL with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and the Montreal Alouettes, where he appeared in eight games, throwing for five touchdowns and seven interceptions.
CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie announced in December 2017 that the league would approve a contract for Manziel, who at the time was on the Tiger-Cats' negotiation list.
Before Manziel signed with the AAF, co-founder Bill Polian told CBS Sports that the league was "in the process of going through due diligence". But Manziel had to fulfil certain requirements to join the league.
Manziel's CFL action was his first in pro football since December 2015.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
- New Zealand terror attack
- 'BOMB CYCLONE': Late-winter storm hits U.S. Midwest after paralyzing Colorado
- No Man's Sky 'Beyond' update announced
- How to listen to Apple Music on Amazon Fire TV
- Union County residents along Missouri River asked to prepare for flooding
- Love Island star Michael Thalassitis found in woods dead aged 26
- FA Cup Report: Wolverhampton Wanderers v Manchester United 16 March
- World leaders condemn New Zealand terrorist attack
- Christchurch mosque attacks: Bangladesh Test cricket team escape mass shooting
- ATP Indian Wells - Saturday Schedule: Thiem or Raonic to face Federer