Adam Schiff says evidence gathered in the Stormy Daniels scandal "militates very strongly in favor" of indicting President Trump after he leaves office. Pelosi and others argue that Justice Department special counsel Robert Mueller or other investigators could uncover evidence of wrongdoing by Trump so egregious that it may compel a bipartisan case for impeachment.
Schiff said he believes there is both "direct and circumstantial evidence" of collusion between the President Donald Trump's campaign and Russian Federation, and "whether that evidence amounts to beyond a reasonable doubt of criminal conspiracy, we have to wait for Bob Mueller on that".
"If there's insufficient evidence in the Mueller report and we're not able to produce sufficient evidence in our own investigation, that ends the inquiry", Schiff stated.
Schiff also commented on complaints former Trump attorney Michael Cohen had several areas of inconsistency with his testimony, particularly on the issue of whether he had sought a pardon from Trump.
"Our prominent concern on my committee is was this President, is this President, compromised by a foreign power?" he added.
Schiff also spoke about impeachment the day after Pelosi said it was "not worth" impeaching Trump.
"We are going to be looking at any documentary evidence", he said, when asked by NPR whether he would be seeking phone records that could back up Cohen's allegation that Trump had a speakerphone conversation with Stone about a coming WikiLeaks dump that would be damaging to the Clinton campaign. And I do want to make one further point, and that is this: I fully concur with what the speaker said regarding impeachment.
A party-line vote resulting in impeachment charges from the House would not be enough to remove Trump from office after a Senate trial.
Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib, a Democrat from MI, said this week that she planned to move forward with introducing a House resolution to "begin investigating the impeachable offenses" of the president, despite Pelosi's position. "It means we're beginning the process to look at some of these alleged claims of impeachable offenses".
"I greatly appreciate Nancy Pelosi's statement against impeachment, but everyone must remember the minor fact that I never did anything wrong", he wrote.
- William and Harry split royal households as Sussexes hire ex-Clinton advisor
- YouTube Star Lilly Singh Scores NBC Late-Night Show, Replacing Carson Daly
- Police detain 10 teenagers in India for playing banned video game
- California jury awards $29M in baby powder cancer case
- Solskjaer refuses to be drawn on Man United move for Gareth Bale
- Chiefs’ Tyreek Hill Under Investigation For Alleged Battery On Child
- Jazz owner Miller addresses fans after Westbrook encounter
- Titans Acquire Ryan Tannehill From Dolphins
- Saudi rights official says pursuing justice for Khashoggi murder
- Huawei has a backup OS in case it loses access to Android