O'Rourke, a 46-year-old former three-term United States representative from West Texas, made the announcement online.
Beto O'Rourke will announce on Thursday that he is running for president in 2020, according to El Paso TV station KTSM-TV.
Beyond a previously announced event in Waterloo, Iowa on Saturday, O'Rourke is expected to visit other towns in eastern Iowa, traditionally a Democratic stronghold, Politico said.
With his presidential effort, O'Rourke is hoping to leverage the fame he gained with his Senate race.
"I'm not big on labels", O'Rourke told reporters in December when asked whether he could be considered a progressive. Voters in the Lone Star State haven't elected a Democrat to the Senate in roughly three decades.
Beto O'Rourke, the Texan who gained a national following with his long-shot election battle against U.S. Senator Ted Cruz previous year, will seek the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination, a source close to the campaign said on Wednesday.
The American and global media jump up every time he makes a move and, unlike fellow Democratic candidates with far more experience, he was granted a cover interview with Vanity Fair and is...
"Man, I'm just born to be in it and want to do everything I humanly can for this country at this moment".
He took a well-publicized road trip across the American Southwest, stopping at colleges and diners.
"I'm really proud of what El Paso did and what El Paso represents", he wrote.
Trump, who became known for slapping derisive nicknames onto opponents during the 2016 campaign, focused on O'Rourke's hands on Thursday when asked about O'Rourke's campaign announcement.
Starting with the Iowa caucuses next year, the Democrat who amasses the majority of delegates nationwide in a series of nominating contests will be nominated at the party's convention in the summer, and will likely face Trump in November's general election.
- Champions League quarter-final and semi-final draws
- Gift of Givers ready to aid Mozambique amid massive cyclone
- Anthony Joshua to face Deontay Wilder this year? Promoter makes massive statement
- Arsenal 3-0 Rennes: Unai Emery's side complete their Europa League comeback
- Japan court docket blocks ex-Nissan boss Ghosn from attending board assembly
- Louis Tomlinson’s sister Félicité dead at 18
- Mumbai bridge collapse kills four
- Samsung keeps the dream of the under-screen camera alive
- William and Harry split royal households as Sussexes hire ex-Clinton advisor
- Teddy Bridgewater meeting with Dolphins, report says