Berry, 30, was limited to just two regular-season games after his heel flared up during training camp. "We wish him nothing but the best".
The move comes with the team set to add Tyrann Mathieu, who agreed to a three-year, $42 million contract this week. "He will always be an important part of our Chiefs family, and we wish him nothing but the best in the future". Chiefs coach Andy Reid described Berry as "a special person" and said that "seeing his passion and watching his love for the game has been truly remarkable". Berry's release will also result in $6.9 million in dead money, but the move, in addition to the recent trade of Dee Ford, creates a total of $26 million in cap room for the Chiefs to use this offseason. He tore his ACL in the first quarter of the opener, ending his season.
Berry, a safety, is a five-time pro bowler, however, he's been plagued with injuries recently. It was the first of four seasons in which he missed nearly an entire campaign.
An inspirational player on and off the field, Berry's career has been defined by brilliant play and overcoming personal anguish to dominate for the Chiefs.
Berry originally entered the NFL as the fifth-overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft by the Chiefs.
The greatest moment of Eric Berry's storied tenure as a Chief happened prior to kickoff in a playoff game the Chiefs ultimately lost. He has 440 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 51 passes defended, three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.
- Police detain 10 teenagers in India for playing banned video game
- Champions League quarter-final and semi-final draws
- Arsenal 3-0 Rennes: Unai Emery's side complete their Europa League comeback
- New Couple Alert! Rosario Dawson Confirms She’s Dating Cory Booker
- Texas Democrat Beto O’Rourke announces 2020 presidential run
- YouTube Star Lilly Singh Scores NBC Late-Night Show, Replacing Carson Daly
- UEFA to investigate Neymar's VAR criticism after PSG defeat
- Vienna waltzes to quality of living win for 10th year
- Trump says Europe is 'being ripped apart' by Brexit
- Perth school students walk out of class in strike on climate change