According to the Mainichi News, investigators searched Taki's vehicle and Tokyo home based on tips they had received.
Judgment did seem to be doing well in Japan following positive reviews, but now a spanner has been thrown in the works after one of the game's actors was arrested for drug use. Taki is being held in Koto Ward and may face a prison sentence of up to seven years for possession or use of cocaine.
"Sega has received the arrest reports and are now confirming the facts, but for the time being, we will voluntarily refrain from shipments and digital sales of [Judgment], as well as from things like posting the product's homepage", the company said in a statement, as translated by the games website Gematsu.
"The arrest of Taki by Japan's equivalent of the Drug Enforcement Agency is an embarrassment to Sega".
Sega pulls 'Judgement' sales following voice actor's cocaine arrest
Taki plays Kyohei Hamura in Judgment. "We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause for customers, as well as the parties involved". The next day, Sega put out a press release (in Japanese) announcing that it would voluntarily halt distribution and promotion of Judgment in response to Taki's arrest. In fact, Sega has already had to deal with this before, removing an actor from Yakuza 4 following cocaine allegations.
As soon as we hear more, we'll let you know.
Besides Judgement, Taki also voices Olaf in the Japanese version of Frozen as well as the recently released Kingdom Hearts III.
"With a final product already in circulation in Japan, I can not believe Sega will keep the game hidden away from sight for long". The game is scheduled to arrive in America and Europe this June on PS4, but there is no word yet if that's still the plan given the controversy surrounding Taki. Assuming Sega takes a similar approach for Judgment's future, it will likely mean some significant delays.
- United Nations probing North Korea sanction violations in 20 countries
- Book claims Ivanka Trump told Cohn her father wasn't racist following Charlottesville
- Ex-Viking Richardson to sign with Browns
- Justin Houston released by Kansas City Chiefs
- Google Chrome gets two important tweaks for speed and data saving
- Lady Gaga Admits She's 'Pregnant' & Fans Are Freaking Out!
- Nancy Pelosi takes Trump impeachment off the table: ‘He ‘isn’t worth it’
- Three flights canceled by FAA order to ground Boeing's 737 MAX planes
- 'Bomb Cyclone' Winter Storm Moving Across Central U.S.
- Eight killed in school shooting in Brazil, police say