"We're aware that some people are now having trouble accessing the Facebook family of apps".
Euronews has reached out to Facebook for comment but did not receive a reply at the time of publication.
Facebook continues to work on the issue affecting its family of apps.
Thousands have taken to Twitter to report the outage. Both Facebook's desktop site and app appeared to be affected. Some users who were able to login couldn't do basic stuff like post updates or pictures.
The outage is occurring against a political backdrop of legislators in the United States and beyond considering whether large technology firms - not just Facebook - should be broken up.
Apps for Facebook, Instagram, Messenger and WhatsApp were down for some users around the world for several hours Wednesday, with unidentified technical problems causing widespread disruptions.
Facebook and Instagram applications are shown on the screen of an iPhone in Zagreb, Croatia, April 9, 2012.
So of course, people are taking to Twitter for memes and mocking.
Soon after, folks started reporting that Facebook was also taking the day off, leaving people unable to access it, suggesting all was not well at Menlo Park.
A short time later, Facebook indicated the outage was not related to an attack aimed at overwhelming the network. Facebook users it seems like in the US, UK and India are certainly facing issues regarding logging into Facebook.
- Victims killed, injured during school shooting in Brazil
- China calls for ‘responsible discussions’ ahead of UNSC meet on JeM
- New study shows eye scan can reveal changes associated with Alzheimer's disease
- Google is reportedly scaling back its laptop and tablet divisions
- Facebook faces criminal investigation
- Ferrari in better shape than 2018: Vettel
- Anti-Brexit Britons hit Irish pub in Brussels to watch vote
- Kane Williamson rushed to hospital for scans after shoulder injury
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 to have a 5G model
- New ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Poster Showcases the New Team-Including Captain Marvel