Make no mistake, the Chiefs didn't let Ford go because they didn't want him, or as some form of retribution for that costly penalty.
The 49ers will sign Ford to an extension worth $87.5 million over five years. Ford was rated as the top edge rusher by Pro Football Focus previous year, and you don't let that kind of talent go voluntarily. On multiple occasions, a sack that forced a fumble or a hurry that led to an interception might have been all that separated the Niners from victory. He has 30.5 sacks in 67 games since joining the Chiefs as the No. 23 overall pick in the 2014 National Football League draft.
The franchise tag for an outside linebacker next season is just over $15.4 million.
Ford, a first-round pick in 2014, emerged as a dominant force for Kansas City's defense last season, racking up a career-high 13 sacks en route to his first Pro Bowl appearance.
The 49ers endured more than their fair share of injuries last season, and to some very crucial players early on like quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo and running back Jerick McKinnon.
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - It was never a secret the San Francisco 49ers were ready and willing to throw resources - be it cash, draft picks or a combination of the two - at fixing what they view as the team's biggest weakness: an outside pass rush capable of closing out tight games. It has always been believed that the 49ers would select an edge rusher with the No. 2 overall pick.
Ford would likely play SAM linebacker in the 49ers' base defense, then moved down to defensive end in sub packages. They're going to be playing with a quick trigger and getting after it.
- Halo: The Master Chief Collection coming to PC, Halo: Reach added
- Priyankas priceless reaction to Jonas Brothers Sucker topping Billboard charts
- YouTube Premium, YouTube Music launched in India; pricing starts Rs 99
- FDA OKs Import of Genetically Engineered Salmon
- Rami Returns? A ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ Sequel Might Be in the Works
- Rescue efforts underway after Lagos school collapse
- Tom Brady and Odell Beckham Jr. take bromance to new level
- Australia beat India by 4 wickets in 4th ODI
- Thousands of Australian Gmail users report problems with service
- Pound falls sharply on legal advice over May's 'new' Brexit deal