While measles was officially eradicated in Canada in 1998, there have been periodic outbreaks in B.C.in communities where vaccination is low, including an outbreak in Chilliwack in 2014.
A case of measles infection has been confirmed in the Interior Health region, in 100 Mile House.
Measles is highly infectious and is spread by an airborne virus.
"We know that infectious diseases are just a plane ride away", Dr. Cara Christ, director of the Arizona Department of Health Services said in the release. "We recommend that everyone is vaccinated against measles to help keep our communities safe". Symptoms consist of a fever of 101F or higher, red, watery eyes, cough and runny nose which is followed by a rash that is read, raised and blotchy.
Clinics in the central-eastern region ran out of vaccines after the outbreak started in late February, with an additional 18,000 MMR vaccines expected to be brought in by Wednesday.
Measles symptoms appear seven to 12 days after exposure but may take up to 21 days to appear.
The measles outbreak in Canterbury has now infected 25 people, and the Canterbury District Health Board says the number is likely to rise in the coming days.
Measles, mumps and rubella can be prevented with the MMR vaccine.
One in 10 people who get measles will need treatment in hospital, and up to 30 per cent will develop complications - usually children under five and adults over the age of 20.
If you think you or your child might have measles call your doctor or a nearby hospital and ask them the best time to visit the office to avoid spreading the disease.
The case in Cochise County was reported at Elfrida Elementary school.
The risk to the public is considered low, and Interior Health is following up with people who may have come into contact with the patient.
- First Look At Battlefield 5's Firestorm Mode
- ‘Brexit in peril’ as PM May faces heavy defeat
- View the official 2019 Big Ten Men’s Basketball Tournament bracket
- Indian Wells: Novak Djokovic greets legend Pete Sampras after win
- Jaguar attacks woman attempting to take selfie at Arizona zoo
- Longer days, less sleep - Adjusting to daylight saving time
- Last-gasp Hazard equaliser rescues Chelsea against Wolves
- Apple AR-product to go into mass production by Q2 2020
- Job Growth Stalls In February
- Arnold Palmer Invitational scores, grades: Francesco Molinari wins with final-round 64