The final tally won't come until Monday, but Sunday's figures have solidified "Captain Marvel" as the third-highest March debut of all time in the USA, and the seventh-biggest Marvel Cinematic Universe debut of all time. The last big hit was Warner Bros.'s "Aquaman" opened in late December to $68 million and went on to collect $1.14 billion worldwide.
Captain Marvel stars Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackson, Ben Mendelsohn, Djimon Hounsou, Lee Pace, Lashana Lynch, Gemma Chan, Algenis Perez Soto, Rune Temte, McKenna Grace, Clark Gregg and Jude Law. One, it was chance for me to finally see how Captain Marvel will tie into the upcoming Avengers: Endgame (and it didn't disappoint), and the second being that I wanted to see how the little ones within our tribe would handle it.
This weekend, Captain Marvel's Brie Larson made a surprise appearance at AMC Clifton Commons theater in New Jersey.
Carol Danvers herself popped up at a screening of the film and the crowd completely lost it. Watch Larson, wearing a Captain Marvel track jacket, stroll in with a movie soda and hear the crowd react. Others took issue with Larson's statements about making her press interviews for the film more inclusive and not "overwhelmingly white male".
Captain Marvel was easily the number one film at the box office this weekend.
The scene centers around Captain Marvel meeting the other heroes, and it explains why Fury has never used the handy pager to call her in before.
As ever with Marvel movies, there's plenty of quick-witted humour and witty one-liners; "space invasion, auto chase and alien autopsy - typical nine to five", quips Fury. "And I think you see that in the broadening of their fan base".
She added "Thank you so much for coming".
Captain Marvel may have internet trolls mad online, but it's certainly getting people to the box office on opening weekend.
The domestic tally makes "Captain America" the biggest opening of the year and could signal a rebound for theater owners, whose sales were down 26 percent year to date as of last weekend. Mexico generated $12.8 million in the fifth highest industry opening weekend in that market.
- AP, T'gana to go to polls on April 11..
- Switch Exclusive Octopath Traveler Is Getting A Mobile Prequel
- Apex Legends Reaches More Than 50 Million Players in First Month
- Microsoft Windows 10 reaches 800 million devices
- Steelers Reportedly Trade OL Marcus Gilbert to Cardinals
- Amazon, partners close to buying Yankees Network
- Canada gained 56000 jobs in February, unemployment rate unchanged
- Jaguar attacks woman attempting to take selfie at Arizona zoo
- Job Growth Stalls In February
- The Sinking City release date has been moved to June