R. Kelly left Cook County Jail this afternoon for the second time in two weeks after he paid more than $227,000 in overdue child support, according to the Chicago Sun-Times and multiple other media reports.
The payment from the mystery benefactor comes three days after a judge ordered him to go back to jail until the child support issue was settled. "I promise you", the 52-year-old entertainer said before entering a vehicle that drove him away.
The embattled US R&B artist was last month charged with 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse, involving four alleged victims, three of whom were minors.
Bond was set at $1 million on those charges, but Kelly was unable to post the necessary $100,000 until after he spent a weekend in the jail. She said that she was staying on her own volition and nobody was being forced to do anything.
Greenberg also said he didn't know how the child support will play out, whether or not a judge will reduce the $20,000 a month Kelly paid "religiously" until the allegations against him and ultimately the charges made it impossible to do. He speculated that the money was raised by friends and fans but said he didn't know exactly who had raised it. Cook County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Sophia Ansari said a payment was made Saturday morning.
The singer was taken into custody during a hearing over the child support on Wednesday. He turned himself in on February 22 after being charged in Cook County, Illinois, with 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse. Somehow R. Kelly (full name Robert Sylvester Kelly) was able to find the needed sum and was granted his released. "[But] they're pressured [not to see him], and I get it". How can I take care of my kids?
"So many people have been stealin' my money", he stated.
- Bird collision crashes Indian jet near Pakistan border
- Venezuela plunges into darkness amidst widespread outage
- Trump claims Cohen ‘directly’ asked for a pardon
- Jose Mourinho 'To Be Back At Real Madrid Within Days'
- Continued Conversations rolling out to Google Home Hub and other Smart Displays
- Battle against Ebola in Congo being lost amid militarised response, MSF says
- ‘Like Yangtze and Ganga’, China sees ties with India forging ahead
- Nirav Modi spotted in London, continuing diamond business, says British daily
- Paul Merson states his prediction for Liverpool FC v Burnley
- Colorado man admits killing pregnant wife, 2 daughters