None of us know the details of the contract except what we read in the paper. Manfred said he didn't want to see the same thing happen in baseball.
"I can really put that faith in myself being able to say we're the Philadelphia Phillies and we want everyone who wants to come to Philly", Harper explained. The Phillies also sold more Bryce Harper jerseys in the 48 hours following his signing than the Los Angeles Lakers sold LeBron James jerseys.
"For me, I can be able to talk to Trout, or whoever it is, big-name free agent or whoever wants to come to Philly". Harper said he had been spoken to about the comments, but did not say who talked with him, only that it was not Major League Baseball. "So, obviously not anxious to see that".
Harper later doubled down on those comments on a Philadelphia radio show Tuesday.
ESPN reported MLB has already contacted the Phillies, citing the violation of Rule 3 (k): "To preserve discipline and competition, and to prevent the enticement of players, coaches, managers and umpires, there shall be no negotiations or dealings respecting employment, either present or prospective, between any player, coach or manager and any Major or Minor League Club other than the Club with which the player is under contract". "I have no control over what he says".
"I think it's respecting Mike Trout in a certain way during the season", he said, "letting him play and do the things he needs to do to, of course, be Mike Trout".
"We're in the process of gathering information about the comments and the context in which they were made, " he said.
The league has reprimanded players in the past for public lobbying, but Harper doesn't seemed concerned about any potential fine. I don't know if it's a bigger deal or not (now).
Last year, after the New York Yankees' Aaron Judge said that Machado, then with the Baltimore Orioles, would "look good in pinstripes", his team got a stern talking-to. First day, just want to see as many pitches as you can.
- From Jail, Chelsea Manning Blasts Grand Jury's ‘Secret Process'
- China's Huawei sues US over federal ban on its products
- FDA Approves Nasal Spray Depression Treatment Spravato Based On Club Drug Ketamine
- 9-Year-Old Fan Designs Steph Curry's New Sneakers for Girls
- Eagles Will Likely Trade or Release DE Michael Bennett
- Democrats unveil bill to restore 'net neutrality' rules
- Spurs’ new stadium to open in April
- Nirav Modi spotted in London, continuing diamond business, says British daily
- Battle against Ebola in Congo being lost amid militarised response, MSF says
- Quadriga Exchange: The Plot Thickens