Defensive end David Irving, who played the last four years with the Dallas Cowboys and now suspended indefinitely by the National Football League for violating the substance abuse policy, smoked marijuana during a rant on Instagram Thursday night and said he is done with the NFL.
"If I'm going to be addicted to something I'd rather it was marijuana, which is medical".
Irving is set to become a free agent this offseason, and the Cowboys will not re-sign him. "It's medicine, I do not consider it a drug; rather than the Xanax bars or the hydros or the Seroquel and all that insane s**t that they feed you. But we have a lot of smart people that can get in there and analyze something and really make some good decisions and see if there need to be changes". "How many UFC players get in trouble?"
"There's a lot of s- f-- up with the National Football League, man", Irving said.
Irving's video dives into a common complaint about the NFL and America in general's views on the criminalization of marijuana, which he described as "this medicine right here", arguing the league should get on board with treating pain and mental illness with options other than opioids.
Irving has accumulated 12.5 sacks, 12 pass deflections and 56 tackles in his 37-game career.
This latest suspension is Irving's third in four years.
"Nothing helps better. Nothing's easier on your body; it's natural", Irving said.
Irving, 25, was recently suspended indefinitely by the National Football League for a third violation of its drugs policy.
Irving appeared to be smoking marijuana during the video and spoke about how he disagreed with the NFL's policy on the substance. "The NFL is not football".
Irving, meanwhile, maintained that he still loves football, but did not profess the same adoration for the NFL. I'm living with it. I'm outta there. I'm not doing this sh*t no more. I'm not playing for free ... "You know, I stand up for what I believe in".
He has spent four seasons with the Cowboys.
Irving continued, addressing his marijuana use.
"I don't want to get into any specifics with David Irving", Garrett said.
- ‘All Black People Don’t Look Alike’
- Kim 'restocks' missile factory after Hanoi summit fails
- Second HIV Patient May Be Cured After Transplant
- Jan-Michael Vincent, star of 'Airwolf,' dead at 73
- Robert Kraft charges spark petition to remove Gillette name from Patriots’ stadium
- Top women's soccer players sue US Soccer for gender discrimination
- Captain Marvel Is Certified Fresh
- Jussie Smollett Indicted on Multiple Counts in Relation to Alleged Attack
- Giants 'laughed' at Browns' trade offer for Odell Beckham Jr
- Quadriga Exchange: The Plot Thickens