NASA astronauts Anne McClain, left, and Christina H. Koch will take part in a spacewalk March 29.
She said besides the two female spacewalkers, and the female flight controller, two other women will complete the crew.
McClain is now on the ISS as part of Expedition 58, while Koch is set to blast off on March 14 to reach the station for Expedition 59 and 60 along with Cmdr.
Spacewalks are held for a number of different reasons, according to NASA, including doing work outside a spacecraft, conducting science experiments and testing new equipment. Schedules and assignments for EVA missions can change, but it will be a spacewalk for the history books if all goes as planned.
"As now scheduled, the March 29 spacewalk will be the first with only women", NASA spokeswoman Stephanie Schierholz told CNN in an emailed statement-the only mention of the all-female excursion.
They will be supported by women on the ground, including flight director Mary Lawrence and control team member Kristen Facciol. McClain, a graduate of West Point, is an OH-58 helicopter pilot and graduate of U.S. Naval Test Pilot School at Naval Air Station, Patuxent River.
Nasa has kept the world on its toes by announcing that they have organized and will execute an All woman Space Walk on the 29th of March 2019.
The two women set to make space history on March 29 were both part of NASA's 2013 astronaut class. And for the most part, Frazier notes, "spacewalks have been. conducted by male astronauts, with the help of some female crewmembers". The event comes 35 years after cosmonaut Svetlana Savitskaya became the first woman to participate in a spacewalk in 1984. It is not yet clear what tasks McClain and Koch will be performing during their spacewalk, which is expected to last around seven hours, according to Frazier.
- Israel's First Spacecraft to Moon Sends Selfie
- Duke Basketball: Blue Devils barley escape Wake Forest at the buzzer
- Ash Wednesday: Drive-thru church service offers ashes on the go
- Jussie Smollett Case: Chicago Police Launch Internal Investigation Over Alleged Leaked Information
- Everything we know about the status of a potential Antonio Brown trade
- Harper lobbies for Trout to join him in Philly
- Barron's: Top Tesla Holder Says Musk 'Doesn't Need to Be CEO'
- Manchester United fan stabbed in Paris
- Teen shares why he defied mother’s anti-vaccination ideas
- An open letter to the Jonas Brothers: We really missed you