Duke Blue Devils' star freshman Zion Williamson had twitter going insane on Tuesday night, and it wasn't from one of his patented jaw-dropping dunks or high-flying blocks. The 23-point comeback over the final 10 minutes of the second half was the largest of Coach K's career - but it wasn't the best.
Penn State pulled away in the first half as its star heated up and MI played the second without its coach. Duke then exploded down the stretch, converting 10 of its last 17 possessions to win 71-69.
The Cardinals have a slight edge on the boards, which is a feat against Williamson and the Blue Devils. He also pulled down 12 rebounds. Duke went small, putting Williamson in the middle of its 2-2-1 zone and using the tandem of Tre Jones and Jordan Goldwire to pressure the Louisville backcourt. Both shots were good looks that just didn't fall, but those misses followed more than a dozen small defeats in the quest for ultimately victory over the Blue Devils. It all started with a last-second controversial bucket from the LSU Tigers en route to the team's upset win over No. 5 Kentucky. The Blue Devils were 3-for-12 in the first half on 3-point attempts and finished 7-for-28 from long range.
Clemson had the No. 1 team in the nation on the ropes in Littlejohn Coliseum, and Coach K was so angry he benched his entire starting lineup midway through the second half.
Christen Cunningham's 15-foot jumper fell away with a chance to tie for Louisville in the final moments.
With that switch, the Blue Devils found something-and just in time to make a miracle happen. With five minutes to go, Duke had whittled down Louisville's lead to just 10 points.
Earlier, Reddish tied the game 69-69 with a clutch three-pointer with 1:16 left on the clock. He was called for his fourth foul with 12:14 to play. That foul was reviewed, and it was determined it was actually a defensive foul. "We had to fight for Duke, just give it our all for the name on our chest".
No. 18 Kansas State 71, Texas 64: Barry Brown and Xavier Sneed each scored 16 points as the visiting Wildcats gained their ninth straight Big 12 victory.
Williamson also revealed the message from Mike Krzyzewski that inspired the team in the second half.
Louisville is 12-2 at home this season and 17-7 overall but could have a tough time slowing down the 21-2 Blue Devils, who come in ranked No. 2. But they regrouped and came away with a strong if ragged follow-up to their win over Virginia.
- 'Can't wait to make great memories': Search resumes for missing tourists
- Xiaomi Mi 9 official, already elected as one of the best cameraphones
- Amal Clooney and Serena Williams threw Meghan Markle a $270,000 baby shower
- Vatican admits to secret rules for children of priests
- Duke Basketball: Three keys to a Blue Devils win against North Carolina
- Jussie Smollett hands himself over to the police
- Chris Hemsworth to star as Hulk Hogan in upcoming biopic
- Honda confirms plan to close United Kingdom factory with loss of 3,500 jobs
- Two hundred families trapped by Islamic State in Syria, U.N. says
- Saudi Arabia defends app that allows men to monitor women