That CSO tech is, instead, all about really improving the audio experience, something LG's phones are popular for.
Looking at the bottom of the device, it's clear that there's a separate downward-firing speaker too.
We're one week removed from the Mobile World Congress trade show in Barcelona, where LG will be one of many smartphone companies to launch new flagship phones.
At MWC 2019, LG Electronics (LG) will remind audiences of its reputation and history as a leader in smartphone sound with the new LG G8 ThinQ featuring Crystal Sound OLED (CSO), an innovative technology that utilizes the phone's OLED display as an audio amplifier. LG also worked with high-end audio maker Meridian to help tune the whole set up.
The LG G8 will have an OLED screen at last (inexplicably, all of LG's flagships have had inferior LCD displays while LG is the leading OLED panel manufacturer in the planet).
Developed in-house by LG, CSO repurposes the OLED display as a diaphragm, vibrating the entire surface to produce sound with impressive volume. Additionally, LG noted that the LG G8 ThinQ will be able to produce 2-channel audio by using the bottom speaker and the top part of the display.
The LG G8 will be unveiled at MWC on February 24th, and we'll be on the ground to test it out for you. The G8 is also supposed to have Hi-Fi Quad DAC, Master Quality Authenticated (MQA) for high quality audio streaming and the Boombox Speaker as well.
It's certainly intriguing stuff, but the only shame is that its design is so similar to the G7 ThinQ that wasn't especially well-received thanks to its me-too notch look. Around the back is the fingerprint sensor (can they compete with the top guns without an in-display fingerprint sensor?), dual cameras - likely using LG's standard and wide angle lens configuration - and a flash.
- Mars rover: Rover bites the dust on Mars, ending 15-year mission
- Who Is Anthony Edwards? Five-star 2019 Prospect Commits to Georgia
- Kensington Palace takes legal advice after Meghan's letter
- Massive insect decline could have 'catastrophic' impact, study says
- Airbus confirms it will stop building the A380
- Sen. McConnell: Green New Deal Vote Will Put Dems on Record
- Lady Gaga defends Cardi B's Grammys win following backlash
- Rich The Kid & Usher Shot At & Robbed In Studio Robbery
- Oil remains bid in Asia on Venezuela sanctions and OPEC output cut
- Iran's Rouhani blames U.S., Israel for attack on Revolutionary Guards