Airlines put a premium on nonstop flights, and "skiplagging" passengers exploit that practice by booking flights with a layover, and then skipping the last leg of the flight.
Airlines are unhappy with this as it can make it challenging to track passengers, it can cause delays as planes wait for flyers who never show, and that it unfairly takes advantage of the hub-and-spoke nature of airfares, which Lufthansa is particularly vulnerable to with Frankfurt and Munich airports.
Lufthansa, the German national airline, announced it is suing a passenger for allegedly missing a leg of his journey on objective.
Lufthansa is suing a man who intentionally failed to board a connecting flight from Frankfurt to Oslo, but the lawsuit has nothing to do with the passenger's tardiness.
Lufthansa didn't like that.
If you've ever thought about pulling a fast one on an airline by attempting to book a ticket using "hidden city ticketing" you may want to think again.
Whether playing that game is kosher or not is up for debate. Among the myriad ways to shave down the cost of airfare, some websites recommend traveling exclusively on one-way tickets, which can often be cheaper than round-trip airfare. "No law is broken when a passenger decides not to take a flight he or she bought, and twice now when airlines have sued to cut back on the practice, their lawsuits have been dismissed".
Lufthansa - one of the world's largest airline companies - has been granted permission to appeal after an original ruling found in the passenger's favour, it has been reported. There's a reason the New York Times' Ethicist gave his seal of approval to "hidden city' ticketing - when consumers buy something they're under no obligation to use the entire product".
- Tottenham captain Lloris rallies supporters for BVB clash
- Lady Gaga defends Cardi B's Grammys win following backlash
- Ex-boyfriend held in death of woman in suitcase
- Trump Demands California Pay Back Federal Government For Canceled Bullet Train Project
- Retail inflation eases to 2.05% in January
- Sen. McConnell: Green New Deal Vote Will Put Dems on Record
- Jennifer Lopez turns Motown tribute into own zesty show
- First Teaser Trailer for Disney's Highly Anticipated Sequel 'Frozen 2'
- Tesla’s delivery team gutted in recent job cuts
- National Football League trade rumors: Ravens deal QB Joe Flacco to Broncos