It's a shame our goal was disallowed.
Asensio netted in the 87th minute from Dani Carvajal's excellent cross to give Real the advantage heading into the return leg on March 5. We knew that we'd be in for a tough game, we showed we're capable of digging in and it wasn't the best of performances from us.
Vinicius has had less time than Ajax's Frenkie de Jong, with only six starts in La Liga and one in the Champions League, but his impact has been arguably just as dramatic, the hype around the Brazilian already comparable.
Ajax were not finished, though, and with 15 minutes left they sliced Real open again with Ziyech converting a low cross from David Neres.
When asked if the decision was correct, Courtois said: "I think so".
"We dominated, forced many chances, but scored too little". But it only really hit its stride in the second half, proving more clinical in front of goal.
"Amazing atmosphere. I congratulate the fans and this team, who play very good football and with a lot of personality", he said.
In a vibrant display they hit the woodwork, tested Thibaut Courtois frequently and had a goal ruled out by the video assistant referee before Benzema struck. The Dutch side have tasted defeat in two out of their last three games, including a 6-2 thumping away to rivals Feyenoord.
Vinicius beat Noussair Mazraoui on the left wing, cut inside, found Benzema and the French striker smashed home the opening goal.
Ajax forward Hakim Ziyech missed the next chance after a subtle touch by Donny van de Beek.
Real midfielder Marco Asensio, right, celebrates after scoring his side's second goal during the first leg, round of sixteen, Champions League soccer match between Ajax and Real Madrid at the Johan Cruyff ArenA in Amsterdam, Netherlands, Wednesday Feb. 13, 2019.
Real Madrid boss Santiago Solari has paid tribute to Sergio Ramos ahead of the captain making his 600th appearance for the club.
- Rich The Kid & Usher Shot At & Robbed In Studio Robbery
- Michelle Obama's Mom Texts Her After Surprise Grammys Appearance
- Lady Gaga defends Cardi B's Grammys win following backlash
- Apple reportedly wants to keep 50% of subscription news service revenue
- Tesla’s delivery team gutted in recent job cuts
- I can’t do anything about Alexis Sanchez - Ole Gunnar Solskjær
- Sen. McConnell: Green New Deal Vote Will Put Dems on Record
- Phil Mickelson finishes off a victory at Pebble Beach
- Tottenham 'heroes' have earned a few days off, says Pochettino
- US says ex-intel official defected to Iran, revealed secrets