By the time Di Maria responded to the torrent of abuse by picking up a bottle of beer hurled at him and taking a sip, PSG was already leading thanks to academy graduate Presnel Kimpembe's first PSG goal in the 53rd minute.
Di Maria turned provider yet again 7 minutes later as he exploited the gaps left by Manchester United on the left wing as they pushed up searching for an equalizer to tee up Kylian Mbappe for the French team's second of the night.
The two European giants clashed in the Round of 16 tie at Old Trafford with the French champions winning 2-0.
United did hold their own in the first half of a frenetic match but PSG dealt with what they had to offer.
The Serbian has played an important role in the heart of midfield under Solskjaer, and the pressure will be on him to produce again following Pogba's moment of madness that sees him suspended for the return leg.
The ex-Arsenal manager was working as a pundit for beIN Sports on Tuesday night and he pinpointed exactly how PSG were able to quell Man United's biggest threat.
Kylian Mbappe doubled the lead and effectively ended the tie when he raced in between Eric Bailly and Victor Lindelof to convert the Argentinean's low cross.
"I'm not the one", Solskjaer said when asked what he could do to help Sanchez.
The second goal, on the hour, was the culmination of an electric counterattack.
Injuries to two of United's fastest players, at virtually the same time before half-time, took a lot of speed out of their team down the flanks, and disrupted their rhythm.
"The second goal was quality by them". This considered, United's frustration that the referee then chose to send Paul Pogba off (he'll now miss the return in Paris) for a second bookable offence in the closing stages was obvious. "Top four is one thing but we want to be at the top", added Solskjaer.
PSG return to action in Ligue 1 on Sunday, with an away game to St. Étienne.
Asked about the 30-year-old's form, United's interim boss Solskjaer strangely admitted that he can not help the forward. But if you can win the Champions it will be welcome.
It would take a monumental reverse in fortunes if United are to reach the quarter-finals after the second leg in Parc de Princes on March 6.
- Warren: Trump May Not Even Be A Free Person In 2020
- Russian Federation plans to disconnect from global Internet for cyber-defense
- Activision Blizzard expected to lay off hundreds of staff next week
- Anti-vaxxer revolt grows on Reddit among teens
- French group wins $35.5B defense deal from Australia
- Nigel Owens responds to tweet criticising decision to award England penalty try
- First Teaser Trailer for Disney's Highly Anticipated Sequel 'Frozen 2'
- China's President Xi to meet top U.S. trade negotiators on Friday - SCMP
- PSG hands Man United first defeat under Solskjaer
- Samsung Galaxy S10 series: Everything we know so far about specs, features