Mickelson finished with a 7-under 65 to win the tourney, matching the tournament record with his fifth victory. Winning for the fifth time at Pebble, he maintained the three-stroke lead he had taken over Paul Casey and Scott Stallings when play in the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am was suspended because of darkness Sunday.
It is Mickelson and Casey now battling to win the tournament, while Scott Stallings also has an outside chance.
And sure enough, he managed to visit unknown parts of the Monterey Peninsula with a few wayward tee shots, endured a soggy, bone-numbing array of 5-plus-hour rounds, waited out a Sunday hailstorm that for a time whitened the course, made up a 3-shot deficit on Paul Casey and then - with victory imminent - all but pleaded to finish when all that would have been visible was his chattering teeth.
That was in 1998, when rain soaked the Monterey Peninsula in February, and the PGA Tour chose to play the third round the day after the PGA Championship ended up the Pacific coast at Sahalee. "I got an upfront close look at Phil [Mickelson] shooting a great round of golf and winning this golf event". Casey and FedEx executive Don Colleran had a one-shot lead in the pro-am.
Players have been battling severe weather conditions all weekend and delays have pushed the final round to Monday, when play will resume at 08:00 local time (16:00 GMT). "I can see fine". He has gone 28 years since his first PGA Tour victory and his 44th, and he joined Tiger Woods as the only players to surpass $90 million in career earnings.
Someone in Mickelson's camp also might have noted that his group was woefully behind and that if finishing the round Sunday was a priority, perhaps they should have played faster.
On Monday morning, he had a change of heart and said he thanked Casey for standing his ground.
Scott Stallings, who took the clubhouse lead on Sunday by getting to 15 under, was third, with Jason Day and Kim Si-woo tied for fourth at 13 under.
It also would be his first victory on American soil since the Phoenix Open six years ago.
"I get exactly where Paul is coming from", Mickelson later said. He won that summer's British Open at Muirfield and last year's Mexico Championship. In 2018, Ted Potter, Jr. prevailed over Phil Mickelson, Jason Day and two-time Pebble Beach victor Dustin Johnson.
"It's nothing like the course we'll see", Mickelson said. Six runner-up finishes, some in the most heartbreaking fashion, dot his career, the tournament keeping him from a career Grand Slam.
- Winter storm watch in effect for Greater Sudbury
- UFC 234 pay-per-view guide: Start time, card, how to watch
- Celebs wear pro-Trump fashion at the 2019 Grammys
- Soundarya Rajnikanth ties the knot with Vishagan Vanangamudi
- Kate Hudson broke Jennifer Aniston’s 50th birthday social media ban
- US Wants Security Council to Recognize Disputed Venezuela President
- Tom Suozzi, Moderate Democrat On Powerful Economic Committee, Backs Green New Deal
- Manchester United under Jose Mourinho were 'laughing stock' - Phil Jones
- Gaza officials: Israeli fire kills 2 Palestinian teens
- National Pizza Day 2019: Where to find free and cheap pizza today