Less than 48 hours after the conclusion of Saturday night's 81-71 loss at home to No. 2 Duke, U.Va. has the unenviable chore of having to play at North Carolina, which began Monday ranked No. 8 in the nation and is tied for first in the Atlantic Coast Conference with Duke.
Tennessee was selected No. 1 in the South Region by the selection committee in rankings that will change before Selection Sunday on March 17. No. 4 Duke defeated No. 2 Virginia, 69-63, in Charlottesville on January 31, 2015; No. 2 Virginia beat No. 4 Duke, 65-63, in Cameron last season (January 27); No. 1 Duke beat No. 4 Virginia, 72-70, on January 19 at Cameron.
Durham's Jay Huff hit a 3-pointer for Virginia before zipping a nice pass under the basket for a Braxton Key layin that cut Duke's lead to 54-49.
"I want these guys to enjoy what they're doing and I'm probably not the easiest guy to let that happen because I'm always thinking of ways we can get better, and I want to do it right now", Vols coach Rick Barnes said.
RJ Barrett's six 3-pointers and five more from Reddish on Saturday night at Virginia helped erase that game plan. I expect UVA to be better and for that to be a big factor.
Virginia: The Cavaliers head to Chapel Hill to play No. 8 North Carolina on Monday night. He matched his career high with 33 points, featuring a 7-of-10 performance on 3-point attempts, to fuel UNC's 13-of-26 shooting from long range. Kansas 15. Texas Tech 16.
Reddish is now averaging 13.6 points, 3.3 rebounds, 2.1 assists, and 2.1 steals per game, but it's the efficiency that the freshman wing has recently shot the ball with that strikes fear into opponents. There have been four top-5 vs. top-5 games across the country this season, Duke has played in three of them (Kansas vs. Tennessee is the other). Former Duke great Grant Hill was also in attendance, as was Ralph Sampson, Virginia's three-time national player of the year. The Wolverines will be looking to make a move into the top five.
Hunter says, "That was a big loss, he was playing really well".
Virginia definitely has been a team that consistently plays Duke tough.
- Baby girl stable after three-hour rescue mission
- Pink Gets Homemade Grammy From Daughter After Losing at 2019 Awards
- Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax calls for investigation into sexual assault allegations
- After Ilhan Omar Tweets, Democrats Urge Leaders To Condemn Anti-Semitism
- O'Rourke, Trump to headline dueling Texas border town rallies
- Arsenal win the hard way at Huddersfield
- US Wants Security Council to Recognize Disputed Venezuela President
- May to ask MPs for further fortnight's grace in Brexit talks
- NASA's faraway space snowman has flat, not round, behind
- Chelsea legend Harris: Sarri has one month