It's unclear how long the newborn had been left in the road. Fuentes reportedly brought the baby inside and unzipped the onesie to warm her, and noticed the umbilical cord. He saw that it was a baby dressed in a onesie without a diaper and lying on its back.
In the middle of the road sat a squirming bundle; the 21-year-old could hear the screams over his vehicle radio, turned low as he delivered newspapers in Madera Ranchos, Calif., early Monday, per the Fresno Bee.
Authorities are now looking for the newborn's mother.
A man was walking in a rural area at Avenue 13 1/2 near Road 28 about 4:30 a.m. when a woman approached him in her SUV.
"It could've been worse because out its pitch black it's pitch black there could've been coyotes there's cars going by fast down that road", Fuentes Jr. told ABC30.
"She got out of her auto and asked the man if he could help her", said Pogue.
Paramedics took the infant to Valley Children's Hospital, where she is expected to make a full recovery, said officials.
Fuentes brought the girl into his auto, where he called 911. "This female got out of her auto, asked the man if he could help her and asked him to take her child", Madera County Undersheriff Tyson Pogue told reporters Monday.
The woman was described by Madera County Sheriff's Office as a "Hispanic female adult, possibly in her early 20's".
The man advised her to go to the children's hospital or the fire station before she drove away, Pogue said.
She was said to have been driving a white SUV but details of her physical description are "unknown". This enables parents and carers to give up a baby within 72 hours of birth "with no questions asked", according to the state's website.
Drop-off points include designated fire stations and hospitals.
- Di Maria on Man Utd struggles: Thank God for PSG
- Iran vaunts military, taunts USA as revolution turns 40
- Holder's 'punitive' over-rate ban slammed by Cricket West Indies president
- Big Six? It's all about the Premier League's Big Three
- Nicki Minaj Cancels BET Concert After Cardi B Grammys Tweet
- Search underway after video shows man abducting woman in Miami
- Former Chesterfield goalkeeper and World Cup hero Gordon Banks dies aged 81
- Scholes expecting Mourinho criticism after taking Oldham job
- Leeds United's Jack Clarke on mend after illness scare
- Sen. Amy Klobuchar is Running in 2020 Presidential Election