"Fox and Friends" weekend personality Pete Hegseth made a decision to share a little something-something about his personal hygiene habits on Sunday that left some folks - including his co-hosts - a little grossed out. OK, pal, whatever you say - I'm still not shaking your hand. "I feel much better after I thoroughly wash my hands, which I do as much as possible".
He noted it was all about building up his robust immune system: "I can't get sick".
An American news host has claimed that germs aren't real, and that he hasn't washed his hands in a decade.
But sources say colleagues are still giving him a wide berth after he uses the bathroom.
Hegseth was on the air with Ed Henry and Jedediah Bila when, after a commercial, they started talking about Hegseth eating day-old pizza during the break, reported Newsweek, which posted video of the exchange. "I can't see them, therefore they're not real".
Revolting: 'My 2019 resolution is to say things on air that I say off air.
'Germs are not a real thing.
His unsanitary remarks went down as expected on Twitter, with many flocking to tweet about their dismay over his poor hygiene.
One wrote: 'I think I'm going to throw up.
Finally, about a minute later, Hegseth retweeted a commenter, Chris Hayes, speculating that he was "pretty clearly joking" on Sunday.
You might think this would be Hegseth's chance to back off and call the whole thing a joke gone awry or a television gaffe.
Without hand-washing, germs can be introduced to the body through the eyes, nose, or mouth, or they can be transferred to food and other items around the home or workplace.
On Monday morning, a USA Today piece came out reviewing the #DontWash incident and assuring its readers that, yes, washing your hands is incredibly important, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention "highly recommends" Hegseth, you, and I do so.
- South Korea signs new deal to pay U.S. more for troop presence
- Juventus make Ramsey the highest-paid British player in history
- 39 die, dozens sick in India from ingesting spurious liquor
- Arsenal win the hard way at Huddersfield
- Winter storm watch in effect for Greater Sudbury
- No. 2 Duke shoots its way past No. 3 Virginia
- After Ilhan Omar Tweets, Democrats Urge Leaders To Condemn Anti-Semitism
- Saudis don't know where Khashoggi's body is, foreign minister says
- In Revolution anniversary speech, Rouhani lays claim to Bahrain, other neighbors
- Chelsea legend Harris: Sarri has one month