There was no specific funding announced for the initiative, the administration official said on a conference call, adding that it called for better reporting and tracking of spending on AI-related research and development.
"By driving technological breakthroughs in AI, breaking barriers to innovation, preparing our workforce for the jobs of the future, and protecting American advantage in AI, we're ensuring artificial intelligence technologies continue to improve the lives of our people, create jobs, reflect our nation's values and keep Americans safe at home and overseas", the official said.
"Artificial intelligence is something that touches every aspect of people's lives, from the way that they receive medical care to the way they grow or eat their food, to the way that energy is extracted throughout the country", an administration official said Sunday.
"We can not sit idly by and presume that our leadership is guaranteed", according to a statement released by White House on Monday. AI researchers will need to have computer models, computing resources, and federal data to kickstart projects.
The executive order instructs a number of federal agencies, from the National Science and Technology Council (NSTC) Select Committee on Artificial Intelligence, to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), to effectively pave the road for private companies.
Global links: The US will collaborate on AI with other nations, but ensure that it develops in a way that works with American "values and interests".
It also directs agencies to make data more available to developers, set standards for how technology is developed, and calls for a plan to "preserve America's advantage in collaboration" with allies. That includes high school, undergraduate and graduate fellowships, alternative education and training programs and other scholarships.
- Baby girl stable after three-hour rescue mission
- Cardi B The First Female Rapper To Win "Best Rap Album" Grammy
- US Wants Security Council to Recognize Disputed Venezuela President
- Fox host says he 'hasn't washed hands in 10 years'
- U.S. Afghan envoy to kick off intensive trip of 6 countries
- Michelle Obama's surprise Grammys 2019 appearance
- Rain, hail delays final round at Pebble Beach
- May to ask MPs for further fortnight's grace in Brexit talks
- China Upbeat on US Trade Talks, But S. China Sea Tensions Weigh
- Saudis don't know where Khashoggi's body is, foreign minister says