On Friday, though, Mendy posted a short video on his Instagram Story with the location tag of Hong Kong International Airport, suggesting he had flown to Asia.
The Frenchman later claimed he was only joking, but not until after he had caught his manager Pep Guardiola by surprise.
On reporter's inquiry about Mendy, who is now recovering from a knee ligament injury that has sidelined him since November, Guardiola laughed at the report and even queried a club press officer to see if he had any ideas.
The French " into a spin ahead of Manchester City's clash with Chelsea by claiming that he is in Hong Kong. I didn't know it. F***, he's a lucky guy! "I don't know. I have to install an Instagram account because I didn't know".
Wow, I didn't know.
Asking the press officer, Guardiola said: "Did you know?"
Guardiola added that he thought Mendy was in Spain receiving treatment.
First, the Spaniard turned up wearing a striking top with multi-coloured stripes that may have had viewers watching his pre-match press conference on Sky Sports adjusting their sets.
After seeing the news on Twitter, Mendy responded, saying he was "just joking" with his Uber driver and stressed he wanted no problems with Guardiola.
Guardiola has insisted that Mendy isn't going to be rushed back due to the nature of his injury, but the 24-year-old is expected to return later this month.
Mendy has played just 27 minutes of football since his knee operation. They have, however, played a game more than Liverpool, who they replaced at the summit. Meniscus. It is not easy. 'He needs to re-adapt.
"But then you count leagues, Barca, Juventus, Bayern, but I'm pretty sure you understand my answer better". He has to handle the effort we are putting on him.
- The First Night of AAF Football
- ‘Walking Dead’ star Danai Gurira reportedly exiting zombie series
- Durant blasts media's treatment of him, tells reporters to 'grow up'
- New Trailer for ‘Anthem’ Reveals Endgame Loot, Challenges, Strongholds, and More
- Monster Hunter: World x The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Crossover Begins
- Kate Miller-Heidke wins Australian Eurovision spot with 'breathtaking' song
- Microsoft ask Internet Explorer users to go to a new browser
- Gay serial killer Bruce McArthur given eight life sentences
- 'The Division 2' Private Beta Is Available Now
- Grammys 2019: Brandi Carlile, Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande win