Extra weight was added to the Adesanya-Silva fight when UFC president Dana White announced on Friday that it would be for the No.1 middleweight contender spot.
Turner wasted no time in scoring his first UFC victory, catching Potter with a crisp counter hook in one of the fight's first exchanges, then following with kicks and punches that finished the Aussie just 53 seconds in.
He is a heavy favorite going up against the 43-year old Silva, who has not fought in two years, and a victory should catapult the entertaining Style Bender into the main event scene.
"He was taken to hospital and diagnosed with a hernia", ESPN reporter Brett Okamoto revealed.
"Due to change in the main event, customers may request a full refund of their purchased tickets at the point of sale".
Other fights on the UFC 234 main card include Rani Yahya vs. Ricky Simon (Bantamweight), Montana De La Rosa vs. Nadia Kassem (Women Flyweight) and Jim Crute vs. Sam Alvey (Light Heavyweight). Prior to that, he knocked out former middleweight champion Michael Bisping in November 2017.
Whittaker, 28, has had a wretched run trying to defend his title on home soil, having also missed a clash against Luke Rockhold at UFC 221 last February due to serious illness.
- New England Patriots: 3 reasons team will win Super Bowl LIV
- Oilers fire GM Chiarelli
- Suns Trade For Guard Tyler Johnson
- Pope says priests kept nuns as sex slaves
- Measles Outbreak Declared in Philippine Capital, Nearby Areas
- Maduro: Possible US aggression against Venezuela can not be justified
- Ireland team named for Scotland clash
- U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren enters 2020 presidential race
- MLB To Rename Disabled List As 'Injured List'
- Amazon exploring potential alternatives to New York HQ