Fultz's representatives informed the Sixers last month that the guard would be shut down until he had been examined by specialists.
Fultz has played in only 33 games since being taken No. 1 overall in the 2017 draft.
The Sixers traded Fultz to the Orlando Magic on Thursday, just beating the trade deadline. Philly was never going to recuperate the value of using a top pick on Fultz due to the point guard problems stemming from thoracic outlet syndrome. The second-round pick will be the most favorable of Cleveland, Houston and Orlando's selections in this year's draft, meaning it will likely be a valuable choice in the early 30s. In 41 games this season, Simmons is averaging 6.4 points, 2.4 rebounds and 2.3 assists in a little over 20 minutes of action per game.
Once you get past the pervasive weirdness of Fultz's tenure in Philadelphia, the diagnoses of what was wrong with him, and the shaky cell phone videos of his shaky jumper, it's apparent that general manager Elton Brand made a smart deal in trading Fultz to Orlando.
The Celtics were able to turn Markelle Fultz into Jayson Tatum.
Fittingly, no future is more murky than Fultz's. His weird off-court saga, the mysterious disappearance of his jump shot, subsequent injury woes and the fact he'd become a poor fit next to ball-dominant Ben Simmons had made this a tenuous situation.
With a cap hit of $8.3 million this season and $9.7 next season, moving Fultz became necessary if the Sixers plan on trying to sign both Jimmy Butler and newly-acquired Tobias Harris this offseason.
The 20-year old point guard missed most of his rookie season with a shoulder injury and his struggles shooting the ball have been well documented over the course of his young National Basketball Association career.
- Bucks’ Giannis selects teammate Middleton for NBA All-Star roster
- Canada could see large amount of measles outbreaks, health experts warn
- Rick Zamperin: Toronto Raptors general manager Masai Ujiri is going all in
- Bradley Cooper Discusses Oscars Snub: "I Was Embarrassed"
- Amazon's Bezos says National Enquirer tried to blackmail him over 'intimate photos'
- National Basketball Association deadline day rumors: Pelicans send Mirotic to Milwaukee
- Rockets Acquire Iman Shumpert, Kings Get Alec Burks In Three-Way Trade
- Body Found On The Missing Plane Confirmed As Emiliano Sala
- Joy Behar reveals her own blackface photo on 'The View'
- Anthony Davis' Father Urges Him Not To Join Boston Celtics