Public Health said about 5 percent of people develop a rash after their first vaccination, but after the 72-hour window that rash could be due to the full-blown disease, not the immunization. Three cases were reported in Harris County and one case was reported in Bell, Galveston and Montgomery counties. State officials say Washington is experiencing an outbreak of measles in Clark County (41 current confirmed cases), with spread to King County and Multnomah County in Oregon.
Public health did note some likely immune groups, such as those born before 1957, those who are certain they have already had the disease and those up-to-date on vaccines - one dose for children up to four years old and two doses for those four and older.
The CDC states measles is a highly contagious virus that spreads through the air via coughing and sneezing, according to the release.
The announcement of this case in North Texas comes after 31 cases of measles were reported last month in Portland, Oregon, most of which occurred in children under the age of 10.
Children should receive measles vaccination via one dose of MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) between 12-15 months of age, and another dose prior to entering school, between 4-6 years of age, according to DCPH.
The health department said there are two other potential cases of measles that are pending as they wait for test results. "Parents and caregivers have the power to protect their children and themselves from this disease by getting vaccinated".
Fever is followed by the onset of cough, runny nose, and/or eye inflammation. Anyone who believes they have measles should contact their health care provider as soon as possible.
According to the World Health Organization a community needs a minimum of 90% of its members to be vaccinated to help prevent measles outbreaks.
In 2018, there were 17 outbreaks and about 350 diagnosed cases of measles in the U.S.
- Technical Issues Affecting Wells Fargo Customers
- Joy Behar reveals her own blackface photo on 'The View'
- Suarez pushing for Arsenal start after impressing Emery
- Australia not to rush return of Steve Smith and David Warner
- Duchess of Sussex begs dad to 'stop victimising' her through media
- MLB Free Agent Rumors: Giants Meet With Bryce Harper
- British IS hostage John Cantlie believed to be alive
- Elizabeth Warren registered for bar as 'Native American'
- Rick Zamperin: Toronto Raptors general manager Masai Ujiri is going all in
- Anthony Davis' Father Urges Him Not To Join Boston Celtics