In the last three years, this is reportedly the second incident that is said to have taken place at one of the mines owned by Vale and Australian mining company BHP Billiton, AP reported.
Helicopters hover over an iron ore mining complex to release thousands of flower petals paying homage to the 110 victims killed and 238 who are still missing after a mining dam collapsed there a week ago, in Brumadinho, Brazil, Feb. 1, 2019.
A rescue dog and firefighters search for victims of a dam collapse at an iron-ore mine belonging to Brazil's giant mining company Vale near the town of Brumadinho, Minas Gerais state.
Lt. Pedro Aihara of the Minas Gerais state Fire Department said that some bodies may never be found under the tons of mud that swept through a rural area of Brumadinho.
An internal study showed the miner knew as recently as previous year that some of the areas hit were at risk if its tailings dam burst, according to a report by Folha de S.Paulo newspaper.
Major Brazilian TV outlets obtained dramatic security camera video showing the outer wall of the dam collapsing and an avalanche of mud crushing trees, houses and cars in its path. Closeups replayed throughout the day showed cars and people scrambling unsuccessfully to escape the dark red torrent. "Vale described the study as a routine disaster preparation plan required by regulators".
Neto said liquefaction caused the 2015 collapse of the Samarco dam, which is co-owned by Vale and led to the deaths of 19 people.
Vale said Friday it is expanding financial aid to those affected by the dam collapse.
"Everybody, the majority, worked in mining", he said.
Authorities have frozen over $3 billion in company assets in anticipation that it will pay damages, compensation and fines.
- Bulls waive former All-Star forward Anthony
- Messi fitness in doubt ahead of cup clash against Real Madrid
- Fake university scam: 100 students detained in US, India demands consular access
- STREAM: Puppy Bowl 2019
- Hubble finds dwarf galaxy in our cosmic neighbourhood | newkerala.com #96974
- Foxconn's USA project to continue after talks with Trump: Terry Gou | Economics
- Search under way after plane crashes into house
- Kylie Jenner Shares Intimate Family Video To Celebrate 'Angel' Stormi's First Birthday
- Neil Warnock Reduced To Tears After Emotional Game For Cardiff City
- Iran unveils new missile on 40th anniversary of revolution