The Chico Enterprise-Record reports that all of the people hospitalized were over the age of 18, and most appeared to be in their 20s.
'We were waiting, and have been waiting unfortunately, for this to happen in the sense that we knew fentanyl had been moving west, ' O'Brien said.
"Every indication is that that this mass overdose incident was caused from the ingestion of some form of fentanyl in combination with another substance, although that is yet to be confirmed", O'Brien said.
Jesse Alexander Chico Fire Department's Division Chief says, "We had a mass casualty event also known as an mci". Pacific time on Saturday at a home in Chico, said Chico Police Chief Mike O'Brien. For now the home is being treated as a hazmat zone, but police say there is no immediate risk to neighbors. Responding officers performed CPR at the scene and provided six victims with doses of naloxone, medicine that can treat narcotic overdoses in emergency situations.
Four of those people admitted to the hospital were listed in critical condition, O'Brien said, adding there is "potential for additional fatalities", Fox reported.
Authorities said "everything was consistent" with a fentanyl overdose, but testing was still being done to confirm the drug was the cause of the death and injuries.
Officers have obtained a search warrant of the house, which is now being treated as a "hazmat site".
Cops were reportedly called to the Chico address at around 9am and treated the overdosing victims, who were all known to each other, with opioid treatment naloxone.
In August, President Donald Trump urged the Senate to pass a measure to stop synthetic opioid drugs such as fentanyl from being transported into the United States via the U.S. Postal Service system.
O'Brien said a narcotics task force is investigating the origin of the fentanyl, which may have been mixed with other substances.
- VLC crosses three billion downloads, is adding AirPlay support and more
- Obama's former housing chief Julian Castro joins 2020 campaign
- Amazon's game streaming service set for 2020
- US military announces start of troop withdrawal from Syria
- How to extend Resident Evil 2 One Shot demo
- United States shutdown: Trump urged to temporarily reopen government
- Willian? Don't ask me about his contract, fires Sarri
- Wisconsin kidnapping and killing suspect lived under the radar
- Ford to slash jobs in Europe, may close plants
- PC sales stumble in Q4 amid CPU shortages, China trade war