Hale also met with Joseph Aoun, the commander of the Lebanese Armed Forces, who said that their discussion was focused on "the general situation in Lebanon and the region, as well as cooperation relations between the armies of the two countries, especially the amount of military assistance provided by the USA to the Lebanese Army". UN's peacekeeping mission Unifil has been updated on the latest position.
"Just in the last 36 hours the air force attacked Iranian warehouses containing Iranian weapons in the Damascus global airport", Netanyahu said on Sunday at the start of a cabinet meeting, according to his office.
"We have found yet another Hezbollah cross-border attack tunnel from Lebanon to Israel", said Lieutenant Colonel Jonathan Conricus.
Hezbollah has not commented on the tunnels, the existence of several of which was confirmed by United Nations peacekeepers in Lebanon. Israel launched "Operation Northern Shield" early last month to detect and destroy what it called a vast network of Hezbollah tunnels aimed for militants to sneak across the border, capture territory and stage devastating attacks.
The Army reiterated that it held Lebanon responsible for all activities that took place in its territory and thanked the residents of Israel's north for helping it achieve the operation's goals.
After keeping a low profile throughout most of his term, Eisenkot gave a series on interviews over the weekend focusing on his shifting the military's attention toward Iran directly, instead of just engaging its lesser proxies, Lebanon's Hezbollah and Hamas in Gaza. He said this was part of a Hezbollah plan to send as many as 1,500 fighters to infiltrate Israeli border communities during any future war.
Israel alleges Hezbollah had planned to use the tunnels to kidnap or kill its civilians or soldiers, and to seize a slice of Israeli territory in the event of any hostilities. It said the Iranian-backed organization Hezbollah dug.
The tunnel will now be destroyed.
At a weekly cabinet meeting earlier in the day, Netanyahu admitted that Israel had delivered airstrikes against Iranian targets at Damascus' global airport over the past 36 hours.
- LeBron James Getting Crushed For What He Did After Cowboys-Rams
- Chris Pratt announces engagement to Katherine Schwarzenegger
- Kyler Murray wants $15 million from A's to stick with baseball
- An egg has broken Kylie Jenner's record for Instagram's most-liked photo
- Lexus LC Convertible concept revealed, Detroit debut
- FM Çavuşoğlu holds phone call with U.S. counterpart Pompeo over Syria
- Game of Thrones series 8 release date confirmed alongside chilling teaser
- 'Uri' races ahead of 'The Accidental Prime Minister' on Day 1
- Former kidnap victim Elizabeth Smart offers advice to Jayme Closs
- Shubman Gill credits Dravid for his batting evolution