The aircraft, believed to be a Boeing 707 transporting cargo, mistakenly landed in Fath Airport near Karaj, a residential area near Iran's capital, but lost control and overshot the runway.
But a source told Fars agency that the plane belonged to the Iranian military's air force.
It then skidded off the runway and smashed into houses before exploding into flames.
The plane went down near Fath airport, near Karaj in the central Iranian province of Alborz.
It showed footage of burning wreckage of the plane and a plume of smoke rising from the crash site.
The head of Iran's emergency department, Pirhossein Kolivand, said earlier: "We don't have clear information about the details of the crash". Another official told Fars that 10 people were on board and that they were all feared killed.
Iranians often use the word "martyrdom" for those who die in war or national service. "A Boeing cargo 707 place carrying meat from Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan had an emergency landing at Fath airport today. the flight engineer has been dispatched to the hospital", the army said.
The plane was reportedly carrying meat from Kyrgyzstan.
Saha Airlines operated one of the world's last commercial flights of the Boeing 707, which was first manufactured in 1958 and helped usher in the jet age.
- Celtics' Morris appears to shove teammate Brown
- U.S. bus driver hailed for rescuing toddler
- HBO reveals ‘Game of Thrones’ season eight premiere date with new teaser
- Logan Paul Says He's 'Going Gay' in March-and People Aren't Happy
- LeBron James Getting Crushed For What He Did After Cowboys-Rams
- 'Uri' races ahead of 'The Accidental Prime Minister' on Day 1
- Murray will be a big loss - Nadal pays tribute to retiring great
- United States shutdown: Trump urged to temporarily reopen government
- An egg has broken Kylie Jenner's record for Instagram's most-liked photo
- Wisconsin kidnapping and killing suspect lived under the radar