The 52-year-old was recently featured in the damning docuseries Surviving R. Kelly, which chronicled the decades of sexual misconduct accusations made against the singer. "[He had] no idea", Greenberg said in an interview on "Good Morning America" on Friday.
With fresh focus on the claims, which have prompted a new criminal investigation, his attorney Steve Greenberg said his client strongly denies all the allegations.
Singer R. Kelly attends the Ovadia & Sons front row during New York Fashion Week: Men's S/S 2016 at Skylight Clarkson Sq on July 14, 2015 in New York City.
"The allegations aren't true because he never knowingly had sex with an underage woman, he never forced anyone to do anything, he never held anyone captive, he never abused anyone", Mr Greenberg told the Associated Press.
On Thursday, the singer's estranged daughter, Joann Kelly, who is also known as Buku Abi, shared a long post on her Instagram story rebuking her father and calling him a monster.
According to editors at TMZ, the Cook County State Attorney's Office received a tip that Kelly was at his Trump Tower residence in Chicago with the women and he was holding them against their will.
Even as he denied the allegations, Greenberg said he didn't know details about them.
He also criticised Lifetime and accused the creators of Surviving R Kelly to tell women what to say on camera.
At the same time, Greenberg said he didn't think Kelly's career would be hurt by the allegations.
"My understanding is that she did not claim to be 15 and, in order to get married, she had to lie about her age".
- Huawei sacks Chinese employee accused of spying in Poland
- Five dead as heavy snow hits parts of the US
- Father denies abusing fleeing Saudi daughter
- Ex-Nissan chair Ghosn indicted for alleged breach of trust
- Over $20 Million Raised in Border Wall GoFundMe Campaign to Be Refunded
- Syria Says Israel Fired Missiles Toward Damascus, Hit Airport Warehouse
- Oceans warming faster than expected, set heat record in 2018 - scientists
- Milwaukee bus driver commended after rescuing toddler from frigid temperatures
- Macedonia's parliament votes to accept new name
- Government shutdown breaks record, with no end in sight