The former Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator will fill the head coaching vacancy, the team announced on Tuesday.
With the Rams going 13-3 this year, Murphy felt LaFleur would have been "the hot candidate" across the league had he stayed with McVay, and he commended him for the chance he took to make him more ready to be a head coach. He became an offensive assistant coach, and to no surprise, the Cardinals offense exploded.
"I can not wait to get to work with him", LaFleur said of Rodgers. "It is more or less about looking at the ten other guys in the huddle and knowing you are going to get the job done".
Matt LaFleur uttered the names himself, all of Green Bay's championship coaches, his first day on the job. In 2017, LaFleur was part of a Rams team that improved its win total by seven games (from 4-12 in 2016 to 11-5 in 2017). LaFleur will be charged with returning the Packers to the playoffs after the team slipped into mediocrity in McCarthy's final two seasons and the coach's relationship with quarterback Aaron Rodgers grew tenuous.
From a 42-minute introductory news conference to a 33-minute side session with beat writers to a one-on-one on-camera interview with ESPN, much of the talk was about how the 39-year-old first-time coach would work with the 35-year-old quarterback to put the Packers back in the playoffs after a two-year drought.
LaFleur confirmed he will be Green Bay's play-caller, and said that he is excited to work with Rodgers. LaFleur's first National Football League coaching experience came as an offensive assistant for the Houston Texans in 2008-09, where he worked with the quarterbacks and wide receivers. While with the Falcons, quarterback Matt Ryan earned NFL MVP honors.
And that's how LaFleur will approach things as Rodgers' new head coach. With McVay as head coach, LaFleur did not have the opportunity to call plays. The lessons I learned this year, I learned football is not easy. The Titans finished last season ranked 27th in scoring offense. "It would have been easy to stay in L.A. You look at the roster, you look at the success they're having this year".
LaFleur was in the vehicle at the time. LaFleur is an experienced offensive mind that has worked under some great coaches.
As the 15th head coach in team history and the successor of one of the team's most winningest head coaches, that challenge is certainly clear.
- Jayme Closs: Suspect named in kidnapping and murder case
- Three dead in double-decker bus crash in Ottawa
- Steph Curry leads all Western Conference guards in All Star voting
- Pandya and Rahul suspended over comments about women on TV show
- Father denies abusing fleeing Saudi daughter
- DeMarcus Cousins Targeting Return Ahead Of Clippers, Lakers Games in January
- Samsung remembers its past milestones as Galaxy nears its 10 year anniversary
- FDA Halts Routine Food Inspections Due to Government Shutdown
- Bihar Court Orders FIR Against the Accidental Prime Minister Team
- Cesc Fabregas joins AS Monaco from Chelsea