On Saturday, officials reported almost 11 inches of snow at Lambert International Airport in St. Louis, where most flights were canceled or delayed.
St. Louis recorded 10.1 inches of snow by 10 a.m. ET, with higher accumulations in other parts of Missouri, including Columbia with a foot and Harrisburg with 17 inches.
The storm was expected to travel along a narrow 1,500-mile-long path stretching from the Midwest to the East Coast over the weekend. "St. Louis is seeing its worst snowstorm in five years".
A winter storm sweeping across parts of the Midwest has snarled traffic in several states, left at least seven people dead and thousands more without power in the dead of winter.
Missouri's governor Mike Parson said on Twitter that he had been briefed by public safety agencies and warned drivers to stay off the roads "as our dedicated road and emergency crews continue to fight this storm".
In Indiana, the northbound lanes of Interstate 65 were closed for hours Saturday after a semitruck jackknifed along the snow-covered highway near Lafayette, about 65 miles (105 kilometers) northwest of Indianapolis. Illinois State Police said troopers along the Mississippi River across from St. Louis have responded to more than 100 crashes during the storm. A half inch of ice and 3 to 5 inches of snow are predicted. It would be the most snow the city has had in a single storm since 2014 when a January blizzard dumped 10.8 inches. "The models this morning are 2 degrees colder than (Thursday), which will lead to higher amounts of snow and ice than were forecast (then)", CNN meteorologist Chad Myers says. Lower accumulations are expected in DE and Baltimore, as well as around Richmond, where precipitation Sunday should be freezing rain.
"So, by that time, most of the snow will have already fallen, but there will still be flurries through the beginning of the game", she said.
More heavy rain also will fall on the saturated South.
The system was spreading into the Mid-Atlantic region Saturday afternoon.
St. Louis Lambert International Airport spokesman Jeff Lea says airlines are canceling dozens of flights through Saturday morning.
The University of Missouri men's basketball game at the University of SC was also canceled Saturday because of weather-related travel problems, the team tweeted.
- FDA Halts Routine Food Inspections Due to Government Shutdown
- Over $20 Million Raised in Border Wall GoFundMe Campaign to Be Refunded
- LaFleur excited to work with Rodgers, Pack's 'incredible' talent
- Injuries after gas leak causes explosion in central Paris
- Mayor Bill de Blasio offering healthcare for all New Yorkers
- Police investigate after U.S. woman in coma gives birth at nursing home
- Sarri slams Bayern over Hudson-Odoi interest
- Winter Storm WARNING Issued for Our Area
- Man United Can Only Sign Coutinho On ONE Condition
- Steph Curry leads all Western Conference guards in All Star voting