"When we first launched our partnership with Activision in 2010, the gaming industry was in a pretty different place".
The planned transition process is already underway in its early stages, with Bungie and Activision both reportedly committed to making sure the handoff is as seamless as possible. If the post made by the Bungie development team rings true, then hopefully we'll see Activision pour more effort into balancing games like Call of Duty and building its esports scene. Bungie says it has learned a lot from Forsaken, Destiny 2's latest major expansion, and has assured fans that more is on the way and it will continue down the path of the existing Destiny roadmap. It wants to assure players there is more of that on the way, and that this transition is only part of a brighter future for Destiny.
As Bungie takes over complete control of Destiny, Activision will increase it's focus on its other IPs.
In one of the most unexpected moves in quite some time, Bungie announced that it will be exclusively publishing the Destiny franchise after splitting with Activision. Here's to last year's dark clouds parting to make way for rain and light and life.
Destiny 2 players on PC will also be able to breath easy with Blizzard announcing that the title will continue to receive full support on BattleNet and players won't notice any disruption in their service or gameplay. You'd expect the experience to remain largely the same, but in terms of monetisation and content, it would be better for there to be fewer updates that are much deeper and worthwhile as well as it gouging the player less.
Either way, self-publishing will bring its own challenges, and sales of Destiny 2 haven't been what Bungie or Activision hoped for.
We'll just have to wait and see what happens, but regardless, this is certainly an exciting announcement.
- Newfoundland town asks for help as stranded seals block roads, cry out
- The BIG injury update Liverpool have received ahead of Brighton trip
- HTC unveils Vive Cosmos
- DeMarcus Cousins Targeting Return Ahead Of Clippers, Lakers Games in January
- Megyn Kelly & NBC Reach Exit Deal 3 Months After Blackface Controversy
- Macedonia's parliament votes to accept new name
- Five dead as heavy snow hits parts of the US
- Police investigate after U.S. woman in coma gives birth at nursing home
- MS Dhoni still a key player for India
- Samsung remembers its past milestones as Galaxy nears its 10 year anniversary