Ms. Ocasio-Cortez, who is extremely active on social media, has yet to respond to the embarrassing report.
"If you look at the majority of new Democrats in the house, they tend to be, I say, center-left, if they are not left-left", he said. "So that's the hope".
AOC unsheathed the quote from a character created by the British anarchist author in response to a Politico piece about older-guard Democrats' frustration with the outspoken new member of their House.
The Politico report characterized Ocasio-Cortez's chance of the committee appointment as "strong" and said other more senior legislators have sought to ingratiate themselves with the youngest woman ever to serve in Congress.
Ocasio-Cortez is a self-proclaimed socialist democrat who has claimed higher taxes and wealth distribution are needed. Her statement drew praise from both sides of the aisle. Ocasio-Cortez's plan would start applying the 70 per cent rate after the first $10 million. The former bartender, who joined a climate-change protest in Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office during her freshman congressional orientation, also demanded the creation of a specific committee to further the implementation of a so-called "green new deal", but was refused that as well.
Since upsetting six-term incumbent Joe Crowley in a primary last summer and winning election to Crowley's old seat in November, Ocasio-Cortez has used her enormous social-media following to chastise fellow Democrats she believes are insufficiently progressive and too beholden to the antiquated establishment.
During a hearing in November, shortly after the Democrats recaptured the House in the midterm elections, Waters promised that the days of Wall Street deregulation were over.
However, Ocasio-Cortez has seen an explosion in popularity, thanks especially to Facebook and Twitter, neither of which existed when Lieberman ran for vice president in 2000.
- Stephen Constantine aiming to lead India to historic qualification in Asian Cup
- FBI Probed Whether Trump Was Working Against US Interests
- Healthcare facility CEO resigns after Phoenix woman in coma gives birth
- Trump denies knowledge of Manafort’s alleged contact with suspected ex-Russian agent
- New York Knicks: Sacramento emerges as possible Enes Kanter destination
- Saudi woman Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun: Australia to process United Nations refugee referral
- Derby County contact Leeds United over spying claims
- Maurizio Sarri calls Bayern Munich ‘unprofessional’ after Callum Hudson-Odoi pursuit
- General Motors rejects Unifor proposals to keep the Oshawa plant open
- Thousands of white dwarf stars are turning into crystals