"This was a wonderful turnout", LaPorsha Washington, Jazmine's mother, said through tears.
20, was previously charged with capital murder after he allegedly confessed to taking part in the shooting. Both men are black.
Tuesday's arrest came as Jazmine's funeral was held - her family opted for an open coffin before the ceremony at a Houston church.
Texans star DeAndre Hopkins donated his $29K check from last Saturday's game to support her family.
Authorities say Woodruffe and Black mistakenly thought they were attacking people they'd previously fought at a club hours earlier when they shot at Jazmine and her family.
A police sketch of a light-skinned suspect initially led Barnes' family and some community leaders to describe the shooting as a white-on-black hate crime, but investigators shifted their focus as new leads were developed. The tip implicated Woodruffe and Black in the shooting. "King wrote Sunday on Instagram that he received the tip on January 3 that a 20-year-old black man named Eric Black Jr. and another man had shot Barnes".
"Rest in peace, sweet Jazmine, for justice has been done", Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said at the funeral, according to KHOU 11. While Black was charged on Sunday, authorities didn't charge Woodruffe until additional evidence had been collected.
The suspected gunman in the murder of seven-year-old Jazmine Barnes has a lengthy criminal history of drugs, guns and choking a girlfriend, court records show. But while the latter quickly admitted to his involvement in the drive-by attack, Woodruffe was initially booked into the Harris County Jail on felony drug possession pending further investigation, officials said. In one case, he pleaded guilty in 2017 to trying to choke a woman he was dating.
Prosecutors have said they may seek the death penalty in the case.
Barnes' family may have misidentified the assailants because it was dark and the shooting happened quickly, Gonzalez said. A heap of purple and white flowers cascaded over her casket as pallbearers wheeled little Jazmine into the church sanctuary.
Jazmine was shot in the head as her mother drove her and her siblings on a shopping trip.
Just eight months later is said to have gone back to prison for misdemeanor trespassing.
As I pointed out yesterday, it turns out the man pictured, who has not been identified yet, was apparently just a witness who fled the scene in his truck when he heard the shots.
- Backstage News On Chris Jericho’s Contract With AEW
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Cotswold country weekender has been revealed
- French ministers aghast at support for boxer who fought police
- Cryptocurrency ransom sought after suspected kidnapping of Norwegian woman
- US, China wrap up talks on tariff battle
- New Jersey Health Department Confirms First Pediatric Flu Death Of Season
- Ala. Sen. Murkowski calls for government to reopen while negotiations continue
- Surprise Winner Of Congolese Election Is An Opposition Leader
- Serena Legacy Not Tarnished By US Open Controversy, Insists Evert
- Aliens could be behind mysterious radio waves from deep space