Murphy and GM Brian Gutekunst interviewed Philbin for the top job but chose to go with LaFleur, the Tennessee Titans' young offensive coordinator.
The Titans fielded the NFL's 25th-ranked offense in 2018.
Prior to joining the Titans last season, LaFleur served as McVay's offensive coordinator with the Rams in 2017. Quarterback Marcus Mariota had his least-productive season in four years as a passer, averaging 180.6 yards per game through the air while throwing 11 touchdowns and eight interceptions.
Green Bay also interviewed New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who seemed like the leading candidate for the job.
A source said LaFleur would like to keep defensive coordinator Mike Pettine on board. Mike LaFleur previously worked under Shanahan in Cleveland and Atlanta.
- Paine dismisses bowling coach's difference of opinion claim
- Disneyland set to increase prices, again
- Kevin Spacey Appears in Court on Sex Assault Charge, Pleads Not Guilty
- North Korea's Kim Jong Un On Way To China For Fourth Summit
- Alien: Blackout Trailer Released for New Mobile Game
- Trump to travel to Southern border Thursday, Sarah Sanders says
- Jada Pinkett Smith on R. Kelly's Music Spiking Since Airing of Docuseries
- Pep Guardiola warned by FA after touchline behaviour against Liverpool
- Thailand fires coach Milovan Rajevac after AFC Asian Cup loss to India
- Key plotter in USS Cole attack may have been killed in Yemen