The Los Angeles Lakers announced that the National Basketball Association superstar LeBron James, who has already missed four games with a strained left groin, would miss at least three more before being re-evaluated. Two days later, the Lakers will entertain James's former club, the Cleveland Cavaliers.
They've posted a comically bad 4th quarter offensive rating of 83.3 in the 4th over their last five games, by far the worst mark in the league.
After just 16 minutes on court at Staples Center, the second-year forward - second to LeBron James in points per game for the Lakers this season with an average of 18.3 - was deemed unfit to return for the second half.
Prior to the injury, James showed no signs of showing down.
The Laker superstar is now "receiving daily treatment by the team's training and medical staff and continues to progress with his recovery", the team said in an emailed release Friday, adding, "He will not travel on the team's upcoming two-game road trip and will be re-evaluated in one week".
Hopefully James is able to suit up and face his old team when that game finally comes. There is no guarantee that James would have led the team to victories in the last four games, but there is no doubt he would have helped.
Head coach Luke Walton was already without James (groin), Rajon Rondo (finger) and Michael Beasley (personal reasons) for the loss to the Thunder and will hope Kuzma does not make his injury list any longer.
In the midst of a tight playoff race in the congested Western Conference, the Lakers have dealt with more than their fair share of injuries but still aren't willing to use that as an excuse.
- Rain prevents play in Australia-India Test
- Xi’s comment on ‘force’ in Taiwan is not just rhetoric
- Fans Call Greggs' Vegan Sausage Rolls 'Better Than The Original'
- Cowboys fight past Seahawks for NFC wild-card win
- Young Saudi teen Rahaf Mohammed held in Thailand fears death if repatriated
- Tesla’s Musk says Shanghai factory breaking ground
- What to expect at this year’s Golden Globe Awards
- China cuts bank reserves, taxes to save economy
- Saudi men can no Longer Divorce Their Wives Without Telling Them
- First snippet of Game of Thrones season 8