But the brilliant Lomachenko can now check that box off his bucket list.
Lopez (11-0) caught Menard (34-4) a couple of times early and then delivered a huge shot to his opponent's right temple, ending the bout immediately.
Lomachenko won one card by a 119-107 rout, while two judges scored it 117-109, as did The Associated Press.
For Odessa, this meeting was the first title defense in the lightweight division and first appearance since a hand injury after a fight with Jorge Linares.
In late October, promoter Lomachenko called who prevents a fight with Garcia.
Vasiliy Lomachenko Dominates Jose Pedraza to Unify Lightweight Titles
"I'm healthy", he said.
It was Lomachenko's third straight fight at Madison Square Garden, this one in front of a sellout crowd of 5,312 in the smaller Theater that was filled with Ukrainian flags while the Knicks and Nets played upstairs in the main arena.
We will add that in September, the world champion under versions WBC and IBF lightweight champion American Mikey Garcia, who is also called the invincible, had already challenged Lomachenko. "You all haven't seen anything like me in a long time".
Navarrete hurt Dogboe in the second round and controlled the fight from there on out as the champion's eyes and lips were swollen for the last several rounds of the fight.
"Hearing those words was the culmination of a dream", Navarrete said of hearing his name announced as world champion. "He's a warrior. He did a very good job. The best man won tonight".
- CDC Warns Against Eating Raw Cookie Dough this Holiday Season
- Saudi FM says action against Qatar aiming to change its policy - USA
- U.S. Marine accident off Japan categorized as severest 'Class A'
- Lakers trying to acquire Suns forward Ariza
- Doubt cast over tomorrow's crucial Brexit deal vote
- Miley Cyrus Calls This Disney Movie The Most Heartbreaking Movie Ever
- Cristiano Ronaldo challenges Lionel Messi to join him in Serie A
- Return of Balangiga Bells: ‘It’s time for healing and closure’
- Nicki Minaj Vacations with New Man
- Romelu Lukaku considering his Man United future