The tunnels's discovery and the subsequent IDF operation to destroy them has raised the specter of renewed conflict between Israel and Hezbollah.
Israel Defense Forces accused the militant group, considered a terrorist organization by the United States and Israel, of planning to use the tunnel for violence. Gen. Yoel Strik met with his counterpart from United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL), Major General Stefano Del Col on Thursday, presenting him with visuals of houses in southern Lebanon where the cross-border tunnels are being dug from leading into Israeli territory.
He said the Israeli military had issued warnings in Arabic to residents of southern Lebanon to stay away.
Israeli military digger works on the border with Lebanon in the northern Israeli town of Metula, Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2018.
According to an English translation by Iran's Tasnim News Agency, Qassem said that all of Israel, including its capital Tel Aviv, was within the range of Hezbollah missiles.
Israel locates third 'Hezbollah' tunnel crossing from Lebanon
Conricus said the army believed the three individuals meant to take sensors the Israeli soldiers had placed in the ground as part of their efforts to uncover tunnels.
During their phone call, initiated by Netanyahu, "The President of Russian Federation stressed the importance of ensuring stability in the region", the Kremlin statement said. Earlier this year, Bahrain officially supported Israel's right to defend itself against Iranian aggression in Syria.
Israel has carried out hundreds of air strikes in Syria against what it says are Iranian military targets and deliveries of advanced arms to Hezbollah.
Still, a friendly fire incident in Syria in September that led to the downing of a Russian plane by Syrian air defences during an Israeli strike has complicated Israeli operations.
During the Second Lebanon war, Hezbollah fired medium-range missile as far south as the port city of Haifa and other locations in the lower Galilee region.
Israel also fought a war against Hezbollah in 2006 that was halted by a UN-brokered truce.
- Saudi minister rules out extraditing suspects in death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi
- Five Things to Know About New Chiefs' WR Kelvin Benjamin
- Trump Confirms Departure Of John Kelly From White House
- Adam Schiff Believes Trump Faces 'The Real Prospect of Jail Time'
- Epic Games Store goes live with new titles
- Trump signs funding stopgap, setting holiday fight on wall
- CS:GO releases battle royale and becomes free-to-play
- Tumblr to ban adult content starting December 17
- China rover blasts off for first landing on moon's 'dark side'
- Cleveland police launching internal investigation regarding Kareem Hunt incident